Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

chance encounter

Screen caps from Before Sunrise (1995), starring Julie Delpy as Celine and Ethan Hawke as Jesse. 

Every new year I make numerous resolutions. Among the various bettering myself ones, I inevitably pledge to read more books and watch more films. While I have been failing miserably thus far with the former, I have managed to watch a good deal more films since the beginning of the year. And a lot of good ones at that. 

Before Sunrise is rather nice. I'm not particularly into romantic films (not because I'm anti-romantic or anything, but rather I can't ever really buy into them...), this one though, manages to grab even a super-sceptic such as I. If there's going to be a couple to fall in love with each other instantly, it's going to be the magic pairing of Hawke's boyishness and Delpy's fresh-faced allure. Plus, it's set in Vienna...pretty much close to the top in my ever-expanding list of places I would like to visit...

"You know, I believe if there's any kind of God, it wouldn't be in any of us, not you or me, but just this little space in between...If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know it's almost impossible to succeed but...the answer must be in the attempt."
-Celine, Before Sunrise

Just one of the many quite lovely and mildly philosophical musings that speckle Celine and Jesse's conversations. If anything, Before Sunrise is a meditation on what it means to be young, and the sort of wonder, lust for life and willingness to take a chance that accompanies it. 

1 comment:

Meg Davies said...

this sent me straight to the trailer :)