Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

sunday girl


Andromeda, charcoal on paper, Alice Maher (more on this soon...)


Some bold and witty comments on feminism:
Louise Brealey, in an interview with The Observer, January 2013:
You describe yourself as a feminist on your Twitter biography. What kind?
“A militant one. Dungarees, moustache, all men are rapists, you know the drill… Seriously, though, I’d like every man who doesn’t call himself a feminist to explain to the women in his life why he doesn’t believe in equality for women. I think Page 3, Nuts and Zoo are bullshit. I don’t wax my pubic hair off. I don’t think working in a titty bar getting fivers shoved up your bum is empowering. And I’m bored of pictures of women in their smalls on buses with fuck-me mouths.”
Caitlin Moran, in How to Be a Woman:
“We need to reclaim the word ‘feminism’. We need the word ‘feminism’ back real bad. When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist – and only 42% of British women – I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of ‘liberation for women’ is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? ‘Vogue’ by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good shit GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”
Also:
“But, of course, you might be asking yourself, ‘Am I a feminist? I might not be. I don’t know! I still don’t know what it is! I’m too knackered and confused to work it out. That curtain pole really still isn’t up! I don’t have time to work out if I am a women’s libber! There seems to be a lot to it. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?’
I understand.
So here is the quick way of working out if you’re a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.
a) Do you have a vagina? and
b) Do you want to be in charge of it?
If you said ‘yes’ to both, then congratulations! You’re a feminist.”
I know talking about feminism is all in vogue (if you excuse the sort-of-pun) at the moment. But it's still great to read such unapologetic statements on the matter. While going around shouting about how much of  a feminist you are maybe conforming to stereotype, the stigma around referring to yourself as one (and that includes both sexes!) really must come to an end. It's really rather embarrassing not to (consider Katy Perry's acceptance speech for Billboard's Woman of the Year..).

1 comment:

Eva said...

Awesome quotes x