Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

nina leen

 
 
 
 
I discovered the photography of Nina Leen while I was researching for my dissertation recently. Many people will be familiar with her famous portrait of the Abstract Expressionists for LIFE in 1951, titled The Irascibles and her fashion photography is equally compelling. There is a great snapshot quality to her work - capturing little details like a hair bow or those quite frankly radical leopard print heels. Personally, I find a certain humour present in many of her photographs and a desire to capture patterns and repetition which at time lends an almost surreal aesthetic to her imagery. 

1 comment:

Eimear Mc Keown said...

The roller skate girl, amazing! I adore your blog. I'm slowly dipping my toes in the world of blogging, I would love if you could check mine out if you get a chance http://theretrosuitcase.blogspot.com/