Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

caution: rant ahead

I love a rant. Especially when it’s something I am really passionate about. And readers of this blog will know that one of those things just happens to be The Full Skirt. The following quote from a Sunday supplement has seriously ticked me off. Consider:

"It's finally happened - we've had our fill of Mad Men style...real women don't wear the sort of asinine, full skirts favoured by the rather beige Betty. If nothing else, they're impossible to do without looking annoyingly prim and smug, and like you're in fancy dress..."

Bashing ma fave show forever aside (even I have to admit that Mad Men fashion trend coverage and general gushing over MM can become nothing short of exhausting from time to time......actually scratch that, I for one would never describe Betty as ‘beige’ and probably anyone who has ever watched more than five minutes of the show wouldn’t either....but whatever..), but describing The Full Skirt as ‘asinine’ and not something to be ever worn by a ‘real woman’ (seriously, I thought there was a ban on that ludicrous phrase?!) has instigated such a fury in me that I have had to temporarily return to blogging (even though I am supposedly refraining from blogging for the time being due to impending exams...). 
Yours Truly wearing beloved nine-layered full skirt. 'Course I'm just being ridic..

I hate this common idea that anything out of the ordinary is considered impractical or ridiculous. Pedestrian views like that earn no brownie points from me, I’m afraid.  I enjoy wearing full skirts because I believe they inject something of the fantastical into my run of the mill life. I don’t wear them so that I can ‘pretend’ to be fifties’ housewife, but rather feel it’s important to wear clothes that can be unexpected and not entirely accepting of what the status quo deems should be worn.

It is views precisely like this (supplement's) one that perpetuate the notion that women have to be dressed in a certain manner in order to be (a) considered attractive and (b) taken seriously. And surely, we can all agree that such opinions are downright insulting and should not be taken lightly.

Personally, I don’t really see what’s so ‘asinine’ about the full skirt...but perhaps, that’s just crazy old granny-ish me?! I don’t consider such skirts as fancy dress...yeah, they’re fancy but not costume, there’s a difference. I’m not going to rehash my previous full skirt post, but I am firmly of the opinion that the full skirt is a very political garment that raises a lot of questions regarding notions of feminine appearance and what this means.  Regardless of that, I don’t think there’s anything ‘asinine’ in one’s effort to try and feel a bit special, a little bit grand, goddamit a bit of a princess (all the rage now what with recent royal weddingry) as they go about their day to day activities. But then again what would I know,  I’m a ‘prim’ and ridiculous ‘rather beige Betty’....

And now back to the study...

11 comments:

LolaDee said...

Eh, SO glad you took a break from your blogging break to post this :D Love it and the outfit! Good on you :)

Cara said...

Wow, that quote is annoying. Full skirts are the ONLY type of skirts that I wear. And I love Betty.

(also your hair look really really pretty <3)

Michele said...

I saw that and thought you'd have something to say about it..

Who even take that "supplement" seriously!?...sure its all pictures of Irish "models" half naked (often fully naked) anyway...

Garnish with the Bizarre said...

What a ridiculous statement. I too am a lover of the full skirt. There's something so perfect about it. It makes me feel so feminine. And it's fun to twirl around in. And there's no fear when the wind blows. Or from riding up. ALL HAIL THE FULL SKIRT. Particularly like yours, Pray tell, where did you purchase?

Fayoona said...

I FULLy agree. (Full skirt. Fully.)

Best of luck with exams cutie. x

Laura said...

I agree! I thought it was some sort of silly joke when I read that article. I adore a good full skirt not because of the connotations of wearing one today but rather how it makes me feel. And if that's not what fashion's all about then count me out! In other words, you look delightful! I'm also loving the (new?) hair- gawjus!

Lilac Fashion said...

I Love the full skirts, I think is really LadyLike Trend :D
http://lilacfashionblog.blogspot.com

rhonabethginny said...

I agree whole heartedly!

I love full skirts, I don't wear them because of Mad Men, I wore (& loved) them long before I started watching the show.

The fact of the matter is that this particular style of skirt suits me brilliantly, flatters my figure and makes me feel pretty. If that is asinine, well, I guess I am too.

ana said...

best post ever. i agree entirely.

Sarah said...

That quote is plain lazy journalism. Whoever wrote that probably had space to fill and no ideas swilling around the brainpan that day.

And Betty is not beige. A nice floral print maybe, but ddefinitely not beige. Well said miss!

Noe said...

LOVE the skirt.
-Noe
www.modeandthelike.com