Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

running around

I was sitting outside the Student Centre in college a few days ago (if you know me in ‘real’ life, you will be well aware that this is no isolated event by any means...) when a thought occurred to me. There was a line of girls sitting near me and each one was wearing a pair of brogues. Something clicked then. The former old footwear staple of the ‘indie chick’ (cough) had now become a fully fledged feature of the mainstream.

The brogue has an interesting history – menswear roots, boarding school connotations, Teddy Girls... to Bang! sometime in the noughties the brogue became the footwear choice of ever vintage – loving, canvas tote carrying, indie band-bopping girl. Topshop, of course what with its ENORMOUS influence and vast and varied selection had a big part to play in their quickly growing popularity. In a way, it marked the creation of a whole new sartorial code – Brogue –wearing girl equals cool girl.

I have noticed something recently though, the brogue, now as a staple for all, is no longer the only indie go –to footwear of choice, but in a somewhat bizarre turn of events in recent times (indeed, this could class more as prediction rather than recital of fact), the runner has seemingly made a return. While these sort of statements generally make me cringe a bit because, come on now, the runner hardly disappeared from the shops or anything, I have, however, noticed a re- emergence of the runner among bloggers and 'Streetstyle Snappees' (coined a term there, maybe?!) who perhaps, in the past would have been precisely of the more Brogue – wearing variety.
Taylor Tomasi (Garance Dore) (also, super outfit, no?), Lisa C, Stevie with New Balance runners
Justine Frischmann, Susie Bubble's Liberty Nikes
Facehunter, Damon Albarn, Isabel Marat sneakers (Garance Dore), runway show (Lisa C),
Fancy (Garance Dore), Dapper in runners(Facehunter), Converse (Facehunter)

Needless to mention, I will not be retiring my brogues to the trash just yet – I like them and their connotations TOO much. But saying that I like the idea of runners re-establishing themselves as ‘fashion’ again. That’s interesting and I’m keen to see where this might lead to. It’s also a further note in that stripped – back – practical, 90s’ approach that is so very relevant right now. While I can’t see myself heading out to Champion Sports and buying a pair of Nikes anytime soon, it really is about time I got a pair of Converse at least...I know...have never owned a pair ...mort for me too...

8 comments:

Michele said...

I told you AGES ago to get a pair of converse!!!!

Also, I can post comments again...isn't that exciting!!!??

Fashion Stylist_ka said...

I have at leats 3 pairs of converse now and hm I probably wouldnt think for a sec if a saw a pair I liked ;) u need them girl! :)

Sinead Lally said...

ive got three pairs of chucks and i love them and always will : ) everyone needs a pair of them in their lives. they will make you happy : )

sinead

herstylediaries
fashion house

Elle said...

Chuck Taylor for lyffff!
Also loving the nike high tops. In purple. Yum.

Blau von T said...

I've never been sure if Converse are for me, think I'm a plain plimsol kinda gal

Kat said...

Everyone is very pro-converse by the sounds of things...but the real tricky issue is the more..um..'runner-y/sneaker' type footwear...they are what I am most interested in at the moment...

lovelydisco said...

I live in my sneakers and got a pair of floral Nikes like those ones pictured very recently! Love them

Anonymous said...

Fucking get a pair! :)