Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

style is like wine...

My friend Michele and I have a running joke that she knows everything about me, and to be fair she knows a lot (...) . She recently sent me a link for a blog catering in, how shall we say... mature street style, Advanced Style. Michele is well aware of my supreme fondness and appreciation for well dressed people of a more mature variety.

I find elderly people continually inspiring in the manner in which they dress. And for a number of reasons. My mother jokes that I dress like a granny and while this may not be true all the time, there is certainly some fact in this. Big cardigans, long skirts, tweed, checks, button up shirts, pearls, handbags, brooches, gloves, thick knit tights all bear a granny vibe and feature frequently in my own attire. And it’s not just me, among many others, style blogger extraordinaire Tavi of The Style Rookie continually looks to the older generation for style inspiration.
Peggy Guggenheim, image from Advanced Style, Tavi of The Style Rookie
Jean Paul Gautier a/w '11, Iris Apfel, Grace Kelly
Image from Advanced Style, random image, the Duchess of Devonshire for Vanity Fair

I think one of the main reasons why our grandparents are increasingly becoming our style icons is partially to do with a desire to reclaim some manner of ‘effort’ and put – togetherness in our dressing. Often it is deemed a faux pas to express either in an outfit: ‘No I cannot have shown a thought process in my outfit!!!’. When I see a well dressed elderly lady or gent, it’s this put-togetherness that strikes me. Often neat and tidy and fastidious in their attention to detail – polished shoes or a perfectly pinned brooch. Of course, I am quite the granny too in the sense that I cringe and die a little when I see too much flesh exposed...

But it’s this detail, detail, detail – meticulous and intriguing and often seeped in personal resonance. Sloppy dressing is fine some of the time, but being a little put together can sometimes and surprisingly be the more interesting of the two. Happy Matching!

4 comments:

mary louise said...

i really love the "grandma" style too. brooches and handbags are amazing. and pearls!

http://styleaccordingtome.blogspot.com

stacey said...

LOVED the photos. :-)
http://wearnailpolish.blogspot.com

My Third Cousin and Sarah said...

Loove the grannie style, great photos. Nothing like a great grannie bag I think!

Tea For Two said...

I love grandma chic and I also love to see grandmas dressing in anything but grandma chic. I just like to see older women with style taking some chances and enjoying their wardrobes. I've always believe I'll never lose my passion for fashion and can't wait to grow old disgracefully in a nice frock.