Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

i'm not the only one




In my portraiture class this morning, we watched Edie Sedgwick’s Warhol screen test. Looking beyond the compelling Sedgwick gaze, you can just about see the collar of her top, and lo and behold, what is it... surely, you’ve guessed it...the black and white striped top.
The striped top, black/white/blue/white/Breton/whichever...now, for those yucky clichés...is a wardrobe staple, a classic, etc etc... but thing is, it really is, well at least for me – I seem to wear said item on a daily basis. The screen test with Edie reminded me just how much I wear striped tops, and in a way why I wear them. Sure, they’re as trendy now as a pair of skinny jeans, but there’s nothing wrong with that, because a striped top (well with limitations..) brings Jane Birkin, Jean Seberg, Audrey Hepburn, and of course, Ms Edie to mind, and surely that’s nothing short of being the sartorial holy grail. So,  just a little love for one of my favourite items ever, painfully mainstream or not...but hell, this time I don’t care.

8 comments:

Zoë said...

yeah, its timeless. i like to wear mine often, but rather than a saint-james its more like h&m. oh well!

Cara said...

Ever see the ones in Penneys/Dunnes that have horrible, tacky. rhinestone-covered flowers on them that everyone wears? Yeah, that kinda turned me off striped tops in the high street.

x x x

Anonymous said...

pure class :)

blog mode said...

love striped tops !!

Kat said...

@ Cara - Yeah...those are the dodgy 'with limitations' I refer too..

kellebelle said...

Love all those phots. Timeless beauty.
x

Skinni Peach said...

i'm completely with you on the stripes, it really is a timless print. I have about 10 tops with this print, they all look the same but i love them. I think the look is really lady like. love the pictures! .x.

LRB said...

Great memorable photos!