Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

you know me well

Buttoned – up shirts are quite trendy these days, for girls and boys alike. I am not certain though when my own love affair began with buttoned – up shirts. I have even blogged about it before, and probably mentioned it several times in passing. I am not even quite sure what it is that I love about a buttoned – up shirt – the stereotypical nerdiness of one, the unnerving trendiness, the dapper/suit connotations? Regardless of any these, the buttoned up shirt always calls my beloved Mods and Paul Weller to mind, 80s’ indie bands and general 80s’ English ness and also, the often prevalent role of dressing fastidiously in working class culture.

After reading about it on a few blogs and noticing magazines ads etc., I watched the two new episodes of This is England ’86 on 4 OD today. Pretty good stuff on the whole( you know..classic Channel Four grittiness..), but the costume is really really my cuppa tea. It’s skinhead attire - Vidal Sasoon – esque Mod –ish hairdos, Fred Perry polo shirts, prom dresses, Rockabilly quiffs, badges, checked shirts buttoned – up ( insert cheer here), turned up denims, heavy stomping boots, eyeliner a – plenty and long velvet jackets (almost Teddy boy –ish..) - lots of ideas and subculture cross referencing overall keeping me happy. By the by, the character Woody - hello people, the hairdo, the red socks, the suits, the flippin' parka..um.. the whole thing is a homage to Mr. Weller! ( I know, I know, I must really tone down the fan girl tendencies...one of these days..).

So, let's imagine I'm in England and it's 1986..


shirt - Bershka, jacket - Mandaray (Debenhams), boots - Red Herring, skirt - Zara, crinoline - charity shop, sunglasses - Penneys

7 comments:

Sorcha said...

This is such a cute outfit! I keep meaning to watch that programme but I forget when it's on. I might catch up on 4od.

Michele said...

Nice sensible coat and boots for college...good girl...

chicknamedhermia said...

I love buttoned-up shirts! My mum used to go mad when I was a kid, cos she always though the top few buttons should be opened (even going to school, she'd keep opening the top button under the tie) and I'd insist on buttoning it right up....twas on on-going war for many year!lol!

hiven said...

stunning
xx

The Style Strutter said...

Great look, really suits you:)! Saw the ad for that programme, I'll have to watch it next time! x

kellebelle said...

Fab outfit!!! Great hair too!
x

BeckyDAZZLER said...

Gorgeous outfit and fab post! x