Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

note to self

 
I returned to college this week, hence the absenteeism. There have been a few minor stresses and complications, but on the whole I have very little to complain about.

My college experience is bound up in thoughts about how people get dressed and  the decisions and choices involved in putting outfits together. I am fascinated by this process, and I am by no means alone in this, of course. I wore a uniform throughout my school years, and so on starting university last year the novelty of wearing my own clothes everyday and constructing outfits on a daily basis proved to be a significant perk.

Generally I drift through campus silently admiring the attire of the anonymous crowd I wander through. However, when I'm tired and stressed out, I get picky and in the end this negativity results in me berating and ripping apart (although not literally!) whatever I so happen to be wearing rather than anyone else's outfits.

My frustration generally lies in my own lack of creativity. I want to dress in a way that I consider to be somewhat creative, but so often (or at least this past week), I choose the safe option and then feel angry with myself for doing so.

It's a rather silly stress - out situation, I must admit. But my dress sense is a major part of who I am, and therefore, I have to dress in a way that represents me and my inspirations. Sometimes this can be a 'mad', creative outfit, but the majority of the time it is just an outfit that I felt captured my mood and mindset at that particular time. When I feel an outfit doesn't represent any of the above , it is then that this great sweep of melancholy overcomes me. ( don't mind my melodramatic ways...)

Basically, this rigmarole is a reminder for me to dress how ever it is I want to dress, without apologies or without outfit - directed negativity at the end of the day . I can only ever dress in this way, in a manner that captures my mood, my interests and comfort. There is no other way. And I must not forget that.

15 comments:

Away with the fairy's said...

I am totallly on the same wavelength :)

http://illustratemypillowcase.blogspot.com/

chicknamedhermia said...

I always found college to be the one place I could be completely creative and crazy with my clothes...since I've left, I've felt SO constricted in my wardrobe choice!

taletrails said...

The safe option does make you feel boring doesn't it? But sometimes it's difficult to remember, especially if it's a nine o'clock lecture, or raining, or exam time, or an 'I have nothing to wear' day...

Zay said...

Amazing collage plus amazing blog!
I'll be back! X

Skinni Peach said...

I choose the safe option waaay too much, that being skinny jeans and a T, and then end up kicking myself for not wearing what I really want to wear. I have soooo much in my wardrobe that were bought with the intention of standing out but never see the light of day because its raining, or its too hot, or not cold enough blah blah! im getting better though, due to lack of funds im now reaching for the items locked away, its like I have a whole new wardrobe!! .x.

Oh So Smitho said...

This blog is everything that I want to read on a grey autumn's day. Thank you. xx

lovelydisco said...

I 100% agree with you! I found it so, so stressful to wear my own clothes every day when I started college and to be honest, I still struggle with it. I have a few days each every week where I'm completely happy with what I'm wearing and other days I think I'll look OK and then I step outside the door and think "Oh shit..." and then spend the rest of the day avoiding mirrors.

I always try to figure out my outfit the night before but usually once I'm showered etc and see the weather, it changes.

I don't think it's something you ever get over though. No matter how jammed my wardrobe is, I'll still be standing there in ten years' time staring into and wailing that I've no clothes.

ps - great collage!

Elle said...

The walk to college kills me. There are times when practical footwear wins and I go to college with pain-free feet but a pained soul.

;)

Anonymous said...

Perfect!!! Usually dress how i feel, like you. One day i wear coloured tights and a black dress if i feel creative then if im rushed i'll wear all grey! All depends on the mood exactly!
Love you!!

Becky said...

This was my first week back too, I feel the same way completely, I have to walk really far to get into college and this ruins my outfit choices, suddenly comfort becomes paramount and I hate that! x

Blau von T said...

try making a white coat look stylish...and glass goggles!

Nicola said...

Totally geddit... You have great style don't forget it be brave with it.. but you are right regarding practicality.. i mean, 5 inch heels with a twenty minute walk to college.. Now hardly!

kellebelle said...

I getcha... I find myself scared sometimes now to wear something a bit mad... well moreso when I'm home in Waterford... Dublin is a bit more diverse I feel...
x

Anonymous said...

OMG! girl, i love your blog :d

LolaDee said...

Can so relate to this. There are some days when dressing nice for college is simply just not gonna happen though. ie...been up all night doing an assignment, can't physically function in the morning, its raining....throw on a pair of comfies and a hoody and away you go. My boyfriend told me one morning before college that I looked 'like a cushion'. Ha...nice... It is always more fun when you take that bit of time in the morning to be a little more creative though :)