Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

the versatile dress?

 
A few summers ago I famously bought about twenty silly sundresses. It began with the fifties’ style H&M dress, followed by a huge and beautiful, but ill – fitting cream dress with rainbow print, then there was the red and blue pinafore type dress, the blue sundress, the white and blue French sundress ...the list goes on... I look back now and think: ‘For Gawd’s sake, you daft, reckless girl!’ Luckily such superfluous expenditure on dresses ceased ( I was, after all, seemingly expecting a lifetime of sunshine that was never going to materialise here..) and I learned the hard way that spending money on dresses should be a thorough think – through process. You see, since my dress binge I maintain that buying a dress requires serious consideration in the way that buying a skirt or even jacket does not necessarily entail. You can have one nice fitting skirt and get hundreds of outfits out of it, but one loud printed dress is unfortunately still the same bold dress beneath all that accessorising. Before you think I am about to go off on a spiel on the merits of ...ugh..ugh..trying not to say that dreaded acronym (an apparition of an ‘Off the Rails’ type person whispers in my ear) ..the LBD...not that I have any problems with a nice black dress...but right now it’s not the topic...instead, I wish to share a little of the happiness I experienced today when I bought a dress...but,  a versatile dress.
This dress, well I hope so anyway, is one that carries the proverbial tag ‘you’ll get the wear out of this!’.It’s the shape I like, reminding me of a forties’ sundress with the sleeves and button down front as opposed to all those sleeveless dresses I foolishly bought when in actual fact I hate wearing sleeveless things myself. Usually I don’t really like the colour blue, but this time it was the colour - the sailor navy blue - that particularly attracted me. It’s nice to inject some new colour into the wardrobe anyway; something different to work with.

But oh how I ramble, long story short, here is the quite nice (and simple, mind you!) dress styled in a few different ways.
dress - Zara
worn with flats - Tesco, bag - H&M

worn with shoes - Zara, socks - Topshop, bag - Miss Selfridge


worn with boots - H&M, tights - Topshop, necklace - Penneys, crinoline - vintage

worn with shoes, t- shirt - Topshop, bag - Berschka, jacket - vintage

12 comments:

Forgetmenot said...

I completely understand what you say! I can ADORE te dress but, how much times can I wear it? (max, 4) and also, I have to be very to wear it with different people :S that's why lately I buy mostly, the basics

Cara said...

Great ways of showing how you can style a dress <3

Blau von T said...

we all thave to learn the hard way my dear, LOVING THE HAIR! and the dress x

Anonymous said...

mucho loverly dear :)

anna said...

love love the dress! my favourite outfit is the ankle sock/brogue combination. also love the last one for daily casual chic!

Grace said...

I love the progression! Adorable.

Love Grace.

daisy kate said...

I LOVE the dress, definitely for keeps!

Please take a look at my brand new blog, Fashion Stereotype I've followed your blog for ages now and would really appreciate any feedback or advice you may have :) Thank you!

Adriana said...

i had never seen your blog and now that i have seen it , i think that its perfect !! i like it ! I follow you :)
Kisses

Mash said...

Lovely dress , I really love it :) and btw you're super cute !

Nicola said...

Great *great* buy and you've put it together in so many cool ways, love the tutu skirt underneath, quite inspiring.

Hermia said...

That's a great dress...I think the last is my favourite too!

minnja said...

Really great post, love it!

http://minnja.blogspot.com/