Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

suited and booted


In a sort of natural progression from the previous post...well not exactly...in fact, the idea of this one  reminded me that Lee Miller has been on my ‘Must Blog About’ list with about two years or so... The forties has long been one of my favourite fashion decades; all those A – line skirts, belted jackets, lux evening wear and veiled pill box hats and vixon red lips and Veronica Lake waves. I particulary consider 1940s' daywear as one of my key inspirations – neat little Sunday dresses, ankle socks and low heels, faded florals, cardigans, knits ( I think The Edge of Love, that silly, rather contrived film, provides a reasonably good example of what exactly I mean by this).

What I have been thinking about recently though, is the whole notion of Women at War (hence, the Miller connection), Land girls and women working in the war effort and it’s a look that I wish to channel in upcoming autumnal months. In reality, the ideas I have in my head don’t stir to far from many outfits that I have worn in the past and indeed, about two years ago, I went seriously 40s’...red lips, the waves, the beret, yup, the whole shebang...



This time, however, I’m thinking something more pared down, no beret for starters, darker red lips if the occasion so calls for it, shirts, battered, sturdy lace up boots, thick wool stockings and knitted tights, trousers with the ends turned up, an all weather proof khaki raincoat, muted utility - wear colours, a smattering of floral, a stitching of tweed... no need to imagine, Margaret Howell has done it all for me...



amazing war effort images courtesy of: swingfashionista, musie

6 comments:

rhonabethginny said...

All sounds lovely! As usual! I 'm interested to know what dark red lippy you intend to use? I am gonna start wearing lipstick more...

Cara said...

Gah, I love this. Esp the belted-in waists.
That WW2 landgirl collage is amazing, super inspiring!

x x x

Grace said...

Such great inspiration!

Love Grace.

Becky said...

adore the clothes in Edge Of Love!!

Blau von T said...

the edge of love...land girls....its like you're trying to seduce me!love love love x

Dawn said...

i bought red lippy once in an effort to pull off 1940's old hollywood glamour. it didnt work. at all *sigh*. adore the 40's and 50's, defo my fav decades style wise, its just so feminie and ladylike!