Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

everything passes, everything changes, just do what you think you should do

Yesterday I saw ‘Scott Pilgrim Vs The World' which turned out to be surprisingly good. Scott becomes besotted with the mysterious Ramona but can only date her after he defeats her seven evil exs...there’s hardly a need for that super brief synopsis as the film appears to be just about everywhere at the moment. Ramona – ‘the woman of [Scott’s] dreams'– is something of an outsider. She’s cool, aloof and we are led to believe that she is different. Yet her unexplainable coolness appears to largely radiate from her punky, rainbow – colour – changing hair. Ramona boasts a crop that transforms from magenta to cobalt to emerald. Therefore, it seemingly goes without question that of course, she’s gonna be cool.


In that way Ramona automatically called Clementine from ‘Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind’ to ...eh mind. Both ladies’ cool factor seems to reside significantly in their unorthodox hair colour (Clementine preferring shades of indigo and coral) – they’re immediately set apart from everyone, marked as free spirits.

A radical hair style and/or hair colour is still considered an act of rebellion and even now an usual hairstyle is a conscious means to non – conform. Plus, Ramona Flowers probably wouldn’t have half the appeal without her striking hair do.  I’m not even exactly sure what the point I am trying to make in all this... rather than anything pseudo – philosophical, musing on the complexities of the position of hair in society (!), I instead only wish I had the balls to do the same.

title lyrics - To Ramona, Bob Dylan

7 comments:

s-oh!-s-ew! said...

i had red hair for so many years- clementine inspired...lovely post :) x

A and A said...

I've hear that flick is a worthy one... nice to hear your thoughts.
lovely post indeed.
x
love from San Francisco.
Amy and Alex
refusestolabel.com

Becky said...

Must go see this film! The closest I got to radical hair was at the end of 3rd year when I decided to bleach my brunette hair blonde. MISTAKE!!!! Bright orange hair... I then couldn't be arsed dyeing it back to a socially exceptable colour so just went around (for far too long) with the horrible bad bleached job. Kinda liberating though!

Lilpixie said...

Really want to see that film!

lovelydisco said...

I would love rainbow hair but I most certainly don't have the balls to do it. I tried streaking it with blue a few months ago and thought it didn't come out until a friend told me he didn't like it and I realised that that was why everyone on the train was staring at me.

Blau von T said...

mmm think im gonna have to go see the film now x

Nicola said...

Has become top of my must see movie list! A miss no balls here also unfortunately..