Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

one man's trash : stories from the hotpress

Something mildly unfortunate blights my household...and inability to part with old things. I helped my mother to tidy up the hot press yesterday; an annual, slightly amusing event as no matter how many times we clean the cupboard out it somehow gets choc - full, yet again, year after year. One of us holds an item up, suggests dumping it, the other says...'hmmm...no, I might wear that again..’; ‘might’ being the operative word.
I am, of course, on the perpetual look out for old stuff that might...there’s that sneaky might again...work its way into my wardrobe. I’m open to experimenting with all sorts of ancient oddities – clothes to facilitate my every sartorial whim ...mad for whims, I am! I might not ever get around to wearing these things in public, but something in me likes to hold on to them anyway, perhaps, due to my simple pure love of clothes as a Thing as a opposed to a practicality. ‘You never know when I might want that big sloppy green jumper’...in fact, I salvaged that item from the wreckage last summer...can’t quite recollect wearing it out and about just now...yet it managed to survive another year, and  now resides, neatly folded, alongside an old grey batwing sleeved cardigan and my ‘novelty’ winter reindeer poloneck. This time around, I rescued a very very oversized beige cotton shirt, a white rainbow embroidered A – line skirt (of that length), a mustard, super soft jumper type thingamajig, a navy blue button down ( I have sneaky suspicion that this is part of men’s pyjamas...but whatevs..), nightdresses galore and a coral, very trendy (but it's old!), slightly cropped t – shirt.
 

11 comments:

Elle said...

Actually saw a shirt very similar to that third one in topshop last week. I don't throw anything away either you never know when it'll come back round! Very inspiring love!

elle s'ennuie said...

The skirt is beautiful! I'm the same with old stuff, I don't want to get rid of it in case I might end up liking it again in the future. And then I forget I have it, and sometimes it's fun to discover stuff you forgot you had, it feels new and exciting again! :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah that's definitely someones pj top...

Kat said...

@ Elle : ooh well now, that's what I like to hear! I guess the beige colour is quite 'now'..see i knew there was some method in my madness!
and thank you!

@Elle s'ennuie: Ah we're all the same, aren't we?! We might need/like it in the future! That is true though - it's great to discover old things.

@Anon : yeah definitely a pyjamas top - I have no shame

rhonabethginny said...

I am so jealous of your skill of putting outfits together! love your style kat!

Kat said...

@ Rhona - ah thanks a million! x

Shelly said...

this looks so awesome!
i love how put those old things into great outfits like that. your style is really nice. : )

Blau von T said...

awh what a cute post, I used to hide in the hot press when I was little x

Becky said...

such cute looks!!!

Grace said...

Great recycled looks. :)

Love Grace.

Search Engine Optimisation said...

Love your dots shorts outfit. so cute