Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

it's only a matter of time

I feel like I am constantly banging on about ‘the longer length’ when truth is I'm not exactly wearing too much of it. Trouble is, number one: I am not that tall to carry off maxi lengths and secondly: I haven’t really come across a long skirt that I just have had to buy. There is the stigma that the mid length skirt is even more difficult to wear than the maxi length, and perhaps, that’s true, but in a way I love these even more. When done right they look extraordinarily elegant; glamorous in a refined way. I have a sneaky suspicion that longer lengths are going to get more and more popular – a sign of the times for a more restrained lifestyle, perhaps, perhaps? Personally, I don’t find skirts of this length reserved or 'old - womany' as some may deem them, but rather for me they create something of that elusive 'dazzle' - you must talk to this person! Although I love the thick and heavy tweedy versions, a mid length skirt of sheer floaty gauze currently stands as a wardrobe must have.
That picture from Vogue UK of Alexa Chung (right) is probably one of my favourite ever outfits. It the epitome of style for me: elegant, ladylike yet quirky, youthful and snappy with character. This is how I want to dress! It's perfect!
I have posted each of these inspiration images on my blog before, but it's a look I think I will continue to adore and appreciate for some time yet.

14 comments:

Elle said...

Love the Alexa picture at the Lv Bond Street opening. Definitely a fan of a mid length skirt.

Forgetmenot said...

This post is amazing! Now I see maxi skirts as elegant and, worn the right way, they can look quirky and fabulous!

Nicola said...

Totally agree. It's funny you should choose that Alexa outfit because from my recent endeavor of you're blog i can totally see how the outfit reflects your own personal style..edgy yet chic at the same time.

BeckyDazzler said...

I love this(see link below) Zara skirt too, never feel like I could pull something like that off but it does look sososososo awesome on those who wear it!

http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/longskirt1.jpg

anna said...

Great post, love all the images and i love the idea of mid length skirts. Just not sure how well i could pull one off. I'll try anyway!

Kat said...

@ Nicola - Thank you so much for this comment! This outfit is one of my major inspirations - so this means alot :)

unimpressed said...

Oh dear, Kat. That's excruciatingly bad form to ignore the rest of your guests whilst responding to Nicola. Why would you think this was an okay thing to do? What sort of message do you feel you are giving your other guests? Very, very rude and very unimpressive.

You invite your guests in only to ignore them? How can that possibly make sense? People have taken time out of their days to say something....only to be ignored?

Good luck with retaining your visitors.

Kat said...

@ Unimpressed: Ugh I'm sorry you feel that way, and I guess you're right, I suppose, I was just taken up in the moment to respond wholeheartedly to Nicola's comment.

I appreciate all comments and enjoy reading them, including your criticism - which mind you, I would consider constuctive - I am just sorry that you feel so umimpressed with my behaviour.

To somewhat rectify the situation, thanks to all who commented here for equally lovely comments.

Blau von T said...

bring on the maxis...mmm but keep the rain x

Blicious said...

love this post!! great pics!

xoxo

Kat said...

@Becky : just checked the link there - great look indeed!

elle s'ennuie said...

I love mid-length skirts, though I agree that they are definitely much harder to pull off for those of us blessed with non-model-like proportions. But sometimes I like to wear them anyway!

Nicola said...

You're welcome Kat.. We all have our personal styles which we hope to reflect through our fashion choices, it's only right you should get props for that and be proud of it. I myself and clearly many others are quite IMPRESSED wit yo style :)

Kat said...

@Nicola - ah you're a star! Thanks for your comments - youre too good! Means a lot :)

@Elle s'ennuie - Glad to hear youre trying out the mid length skirt!