Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

'life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it'

I’m not one usually for ‘light hearted’ films only because I am very impatient and have a short attention span which means that silly films annoy me. ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’ is certainly a silly film, therefore, I was completely taken aback to discover that I loved its sheer silliness and the fun frolics of its very famous teenage protagonist when I watched it on an uncharacteristic whim about two years ago. As much as it irks me to utter such clichés, it’s feel good stuff, slapping a big silly smile on your face once you watch it – and do watch it! It’s brilliant!

As the film is set over the course of one day, the characters wear the same outfit throughout. No problem in the case of Ferris’ girlfriend Sloane who wears ...am I about to say something over the top here?... well, she wears one of my favourite ever cinematic character’s outfits – long shorts, boots and the most amazingly 80s’ white country western style fringed jacket. I cannot quite explain why I love this outfit so much (and the pictures below do not do it justice!) but it is quite perfect, in my opinion.

A week or two ago I mentioned that while vintage shopping I stumbled upon a jacket that I instantly fell in love with. A few days later I woke up with a start – literally jumped up out of my slumber – and suddenly, knew what the sartorial object of my affections reminded me of. It was, of course, strikingly similar in style to Sloane’s much admired jacket. I knew then that the vintage jacket and I could not be without each other – we could be ordinary apart or extraordinary together – or so, I convinced myself! ( I doubt the jacket could ever be considered ordinary though..)


With my birthday so very near, my lovely Mother bought me the jacket as a present. At first she was not entirely convinced by the peculiar style but once I tried it on, she understood, I think, that the jacket was meant for me! I realise completely that the majority of people will look at this – hello, fringing, shoulder pads and leopard print detail - and think ‘Dear Christ...’ but y’know whatevs...

Jacket - vintage ( for those living in Cork, I bought it in Mercury goes Retrograde, Drawbridge St.), Shorts - H&M, t - shirt - Zara, shoes - Topshop

13 comments:

ana said...

aha I was going to blog about how amazing Sloane is! love her outfit and she is also quite the babe. Love your jacket too!

Emma said...

That jacket is incredible.

Sarah said...

Ah I remember mooning over that Jacket in Mercury Goes Retrograde!

lovelydisco said...

Great outfit! I especially love the shorts. I just got a great loose pair in H&M that probably make me look like I'm wearing a nappy but whatevs, I like them.

Kat said...

@Ana - haha ah shur blog away about Sloane - she is certainly quite the babe!

@ Emma - ah thanks :)

@Sarah - ah really?! yeah, the minute I went in there a magnetic force pulled me right over to it and well..we couldn't be separated! :D

@lovelydisco - 'Whatevs' - my favourite motto!

chicknamedhermia said...

I have a weird relationship with that film! Like right now, I'd say I really don't think it's that great and Jenny G irritated me A LOT, but then if I end up watching it on TV, I'm absolutely hypnotised by it, lol!

Mon Cheri said...

I LOVELOVELOVE your jacket. Fringing is always a good thing imo!!

also love your shoes!

fab blog girly

your newest Irish fan

MONCHERI !

Grace said...

A definite win for fringe!

Love Grace.

inge luciana said...

Wow, the jacket is amazing!! I really want it...
great outfit! love it..

virginia said...

you could fit right into the movie. such a cute outfit!

Mercury Goes Retrograde said...

Delighted to see my beloved jacket has gone to a happy home:) May you have many a Buelleresque adventure in it!

LolaDee said...

were you wearing the jacket at the Paul Weller gig? I was admiring, from behind the bar, in my yucky tshirt that smelled like stale beer. hott.

taletrails said...

Dear Christ it's fabulous!!!