Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

gold dust

This is not necessarily a fashion related post, but inspiration none the less...well, I hope. Gold. Regarding clothing, gold is notoriously difficult to wear - one immediately thinks trashy and tacky (although, of course there are exceptions..). In fact, I would go as far as saying that the majority of people are frightened to wear the colour, me included evidently... I think I own one gold item and to be honest, I was even surprised that I actually owned one item! I must admit I'm kind of intrigued though to pursue the colour - a challenge, no doubt, although I often find myself, quite magpie like and oddly attracted to gold lame..

On another note, I need to buy some gold paint. Klimt's work bares an artistic heritage rooted in the glinting gold apse mosaics at San Vitale, Ravenna, and his work is surely some of the most stunning in western art history (unashamedly, attractive to the female eye, I must admit..we women folk love the shiny stuff). I came across Richard Wright's work recently and was mesmerised by his elaborate, gold leaf mural - so simple in idea, so intricate in design and it goes without saying, so beautiful.

Conclusion? I need gold paint, gold glitter and a gold pleated lame skirt..

Detail of Empress Theodora, apse mosaic at San Vitale, Ravenna

Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer - Gustav Klimt, one of my favourite artists.

Richard Wright's gold leaf mural, winner of the Turner Prize in 2009

images - we heart it, the guardian

5 comments:

Taryn said...

wow this 'gold' post consists of really nice photos!

Forgetmenot said...

You are absolutey right about gold! this color is very difficult to wear right, but when you do the results are great. for example, Serena on that first episode of gossip girl, wearing a simple gold sequined dress and black tights; or Sienna Miller!
PS: I don't I would wear gold myself, I'll leave it to people who know how to rock it ;)

whisty said...

Totes agrees, i love gold too, have you tried vintage pieces? They can be less garish and tacky-looking!
I adore Klimt. Thank you for posting this I shall away and dig out my Klimt prints immediately.

Prad Savania said...

Wow! I'm loving using the colour gold whilst working on my designs at the minute! The 4th image reminds of the late Alexander McQueens work! R.I.P!

If you love heels?!

You should definitely check out my shoe designing BlogSpot,

The link is, louboutininthemaking.blogspot.com

All the designs are hand-drawn! Look forward to seeing what you think! Take care x

the Glint said...

I'm the author of the first photo :)

http://www.theglintpix.com
http://www.facebook.com/theglintphoto