Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

i would go out tonight but i haven't got a stitch to wear

I have always thought The Smiths to be an extremely stylish band, in that entirely unintentional way. I remember the first time I saw the video for 'There is a light', I was captivated- the bicycles, denim, quiffs - what was there not to like? I am fully aware that I possess a very silly, romanticised idea of 70s'/80s' working class Britain, but the idea that I do cling to, is a notion that fascinates me. A lot of my favourite bands come from this time and social background and therefore, it is something that I lovingly look too, peering through my rose - tinted specs of course! I think that video has a lot to blame for my dreamy vision of kids hanging out in snooker clubs, showing off their new shiny shoes, smoking out the back and buying records in pokey little alternative record shops before heading down to the chippie to steal a few chips. I probably have Paul Weller and The Jam to blame for all this too..
That video has such an inspiring aesthetic though - 50s' rockabilly quiffs and Elvis emblazoned denim jackets against the dreary red brick background of 80s' Manchester. I love the use of denim, graphic t - shirts and of course, the so very hip nowadays, 'geek - chic' glasses. Indeed, I would class the video as one of my most significant inspirations.

For reasons unbeknown to me, youtube does not like me and will not allow me to post videos on my blog, please do though, check out the link above, if you haven't seen it before. For further inspiration, the 'This Charming Man' video, is great too - don some beads, a loose shirt and swing a bouquet wildly around...


denim turn ups, stripey shirts, oversized cardigans, brogues, buddy holly - esque glasses, and although not pictured here, I'm also thinking denim jackets, baggy jumpers and graphic t - shirts.
all items above Topshop

7 comments:

Kitty said...

I love the smiths! Love the clothes you put together there, defo a good look! Have a good weekend :)

Annie Spandex said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE The Smiths & Moz. L O V E ! The Jam & Elvis & Buddy Holly too. Cool post :)

LYDIA HOPE said...

This is a great post! And yes, love the Smiths too x

Greer said...

i love these things.x

Emma said...

I was practically brought up listening to the smiths! Love them and I think it has influence my insistence on denim and knitted jumpers love this post!

Blau von T said...

this is my fav...and im thinking us Cork bloggers should try and arranged a lil meet up in the next month or so x..interested?

Clare Carney said...

Just discovered your blog through the Irish Blog award nominations and i'm in love - really tis a beaut so well done and keep up the good work.

I know what you mean when you're looking to the past with those rosy specs on - i do it all the time with those Oi's from the 80's and the mods of course. I like to hark back to a day when picking up your specially tailored suit (a la Quadrophenia) was your average friday afternoon weekend prep - so sharp!