Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

in wind and rain

I like things that look old. It's even better if they are in fact old. Anything fussy, twee, old fashioned and fusty, grandmother - ish. Perhaps, even more pleasing, anything that possesses that musty, aged, old man vibe. Jackets with elbow patches, polished leather lace - up shoes, a velvet lapel, a starched shirt, checkers pattern..this sounds all very romanticized Dickens, but there's nothing really wrong with that, is there? Tweed jackets neatly fall into the category too. When I say jacket I essentially mean a long blazer, certainly not the prim Chanel piece, yet blazer somehow denotes a more modern trendy notion of the jacket, not that there's anything wrong with that, tweed blazers have afterall become very popular in recent months in a certain hip, homeless, rustic sort of way, but I'm thinking more the elderly man aesthetic. Where the above description of old mannish attire draws to mind urban, hop - skippity - skip elder the tweed blazer conjures up an image of those, quintessentially Irish 'farmer' caps and Connemara and wool jumpers and the aul men labouring in the fields beneath murky purple - grey cloud..that could just be me though..


my sometimes unorthodox fonts of inspiration!

5 comments:

jayne said...

I love old people clothes too! embroidered granny cardis and of course, jackets with elbow patches! the whole WB Yeats look haha

Michele said...

Bahahaha! The old man drinking from a cup with Lyons on it...best thing I've ever seen on your blog...

lovelydisco said...

Ohhhhh I love it...!

Blau von T said...

tweed-rific....

theres a lovely tweed number in warehouse i have my eye on

Molly said...

Oh my. You must tell me where you found the picture in the far bottom right.