Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

ode to autumn

I'm probably always too eager to get back into warmer layers and richer colours as soon as the end of August arrives. There is that dreamy saccharine vision of summer and floaty white dresses, beach blonde waves and hippy sandals that somehow for me never fully materialises due to (a) Ireland's troubled climate and (b) floaty white dresses are something I have never even attempted to pull off. However, I must admit the truth is I just happen to prefer autumnal and wintry clothes far more than summer threads. Summer clothes maybe simple and light and supposedly effortless, yet year after year I find myself thinking that old cliche "What were you thinking, Kathryn?" when I flick through summer photographs. Some people obviously can 'do summer' very successfully, ..they often happen to possess bronze limbs and flowing, buttery goddess hair and exotic good looks..I, on the otherhand generally tend to look a bit silly as I try unsuccessfully to work the easy breezy summer 'undone' look.

Autumn, perhaps, now that I think about it, could be my favourite season of the year when it comes to dressing. I've already crossed out summer, winter is good too but then there's all that winter coat malarkey which lets face it is as annoying as buying a pair of jeans because you want it to be nice yet suitable for all occasions. And then there's spring which is basically just winter here with maybe just maybe a tiny sprinkling of meek sunshine. Autumn though is the best of both summer and winter what with the possibilities of layering summer clothes over winter items seemingly endless and that nice feeling of knowing that a jacket will suffice rather than that bulky, irritating winter coat. Autumn too is a time for trying out new styles; perhaps, easing in a new trend to bring your look 'bang up to date' (excuse the Gok Wan terminology, but you know what I mean!). It's a time for experimenting and you know, considering the direction in which your style is taking.. well maybe, anyway..

If I'm very honest it is only now that I'm getting acquainted properly with the a/w collections (I cannot bear looking at the new collections a season ahead). Without further ado here are some of my favourite looks. And while we are on the subject I'm thinking of lots of flamboyant shiny skirts with frivolous blouses, lace up boots and swirls of necklaces and perhaps, some very 'now' tweedy bits and bobs.






and my own autumnal offerings so far..
I'm a big fan of the granny - ish satin neck scarf look (left) and my well documented love affair with the 80s continues with electric blue and sequins.

11 comments:

jayne said...

your 80s love is perfect for this season of volume and neon! yay! your skirts look great and exemplify the trends so well! I knew someone could actually wear these things and you definitely can!

Spardha Malik said...

beautiful!!

style of olya baileys said...

oh, i like your look))
xoxo

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

I really love both of your outfits. Great collection of inspiration too.

Catherine Ashley Talks fashion said...

nice post and you look fabulous----

did you draw those drawings on your wall??

xoxo

Destiny Nicole said...

great post, your outfits are so coherent to fall's latest trends, you look great.

www.lyingislovely.blogspot.com

ryder said...

i like luella looks because i think average coustumer can actually feel warm in that type of clothes.

Anonymous said...

really love your outfits in this post! Sequins in Ballyduff, inspirational :)

The Voguette said...

I just stumbled across your blog and I absolutely love it! I'm adding you to my blogroll!

i absolutely adore the second outfit - more sparkles pleaseeee!!

<3 The Voguette

ApollineR said...

For me Autumn goes hand in hand with boring outfits. But it is not the case in your selection

Felicia said...

Oh My God you look so COUTURE! I absolutely love your fashion sense.....www.sheisobsessed.blogspot.cm