Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

if i had a pot of gold...

In my recent hunt for a debs/prom dress it became apparent the unavailability of the gorgeous yet reasonably priced evening gown. Believe me they do not exist. When I began to search for the 'dream dress' I had so many ideas and notions in my head - the colour, materials, embellishments, shape had all been mapped out with months - but unfortunately, it wasn't to be as I had actually envisioned. Many of the debs dresses I tried on were lurid, eye - watering creations and often ridiculously over - priced. Howrver, I did find one in the end that I liked. A difficult feat though - I am, after all, notoriously picky.

If by some chance though I had a few grand lying carelessly beneath my bed, my first port - of - call for a glamorous, 'dress of my dreams', 'Cinderella for a day' dress would be The Frock. This website is filled with seriously bloody amazing vintage dresses. These are the real McCoy, the kind of dresses that set the heart alight. Princess dresses.
The type of dresses that remind you why it is you love clothes and fashion. These garments with their heavy swathes of material and twinkling tapestries of sequin embellishment are so far removed from the fashion of today with dirty haired It girls and 'effortless' androgyny. The embellishment on some of these dresses makes my eyes water for entirely different reasons than above. Seriously, when I see such detailed decoration my stomach does little summer salts.. I have a major thing for beading and the use of the sequin..and there's some tulle in there too..












click to enlarge.. and cross your fingers that one day you'll be in the company of such beauty

16 comments:

jayne said...

wow these are insanely gorgeous!

I hate dress shopping specifically because its so frustrating that they never have what you want

Anonymous said...

Stunning. I adore the third dress! If only I could turn up to my debs in it...

Annie Spandex said...

Wow... some of those would make amazing wedding gowns!

Almaty Street Fashion said...

That blue dress jsut hit me in my heart!

Ususally when I need a gorgeous gown I have someone to make it for me becouse it is unreal to find the right dress in the shops and boutiques here.

MissEllie said...

Hi, I have tagged you for the kreativ blogger award! You have to list 7 intersting things about yourself and then pass it on to 7 other kreativ bloggers!
MissEllie

suzannah said...

wow these dresses are ever so stunning ♥

Sunniva said...

I adore these dresses! Oh how I want one (well, all of them really!) The blue strapless number is especially gorgeous, and I love the dress Carrie wears in that photo <3 x x x

Style Bird said...

The dresses are beautiful.

MelRox said...

B'ful dresses, great blog!

LML said...

where were these during prom time lol????? as if i could afford them tho... they are drop dead gorgeous!

chicknamedhermia said...

I had a huge ball gowny dress for my debs and I kinda regret it now ...I really wish I'd gone for something simple and elegant ...at least I would have gotten some wear out of it!

But anyway, Kat I've a teeny favour to ask of you ...I'm getting in touch with everyone on my blogroll to help me with a new Discover the Undiscovered Blogs project I'm trying to kick start!
Let's Hear It For The Little People!!lol!
Info is here: http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/discovering-the-undiscovered/
...so please do help!

Alya said...

the 2nd and 4th are my favorites.. so decadent!

Steph said...

Those are some definite fairytale dresses! I especially like the Carrie Bradshaw one, so stunning. And thanks for the wonderful comments! xx

Steph
http://bonjourblondie.blogspot.com/

Heini said...

Love these !

olya baileys said...

wow. gorgeous!

Jess said...

Wow the seventh one is so gorgeous!