Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2009

picture this

Enamoured with Vogue UK's wonderful feature"My Inspiration" from the May edition, I started to think about the images that have become like the wallpaper in my mind's fashion archive... you know..those immovable shots that encompass what you love about fashion, the images that spring to mind if someone were to shout "FASHION" at you.. I don't know why someone would do that but you get the idea.

Sophie Kokosalaki's inspiration, Vivienne Westwood Couture by Paolo Roversi

Numerous fashion personalities including Alexander Wang, Grace Coddington, Tim Walker, David Bailey, Christoper Kane.. the list goes on.. recounted a single most inspiring image that compelled them to pursue their career in the field of fashion. The result was an utterly inspiring article emphasising the power of the lens - the longevity of a single shot. Images by Irving Penn and Patrick Demarchelier and images of Grace Jones, Kate Moss and Westwood couture were all sources of inspiration with three interviewees including Manolo Blahnik stating zeitgeist - capturing images of Jean Shrimpton (left) as their inspiration.


Lord Snowdon's inspiration, 'The Sun' by Irving Penn

Philip Lim's inspiration, Vogue, 1991 by Peter Lindbergh


Grace Coddington's inspiration, Nena Von Schlebrugge by Claude Virgin

As someone with a serious softspot for montages of old photographs... it was the perfect way to while away a Friday afternoon.

Five years ago I picked up "Elle Girl" for the first time. Although I loved clothes already and dressing up and jewellery and then there was my whole obsession with 'individuality', I had yet to have that one real encounter with 'fashion' fashion. Flicking through this magazine was like entering a whole new world. The models wore glitter - speckled socks with wedge shoes and flouncy fifties skirts, shiny lame and faded sportswear, I was amazed. I thought the outfits were outrageous, weird even, totally unlike anything I had seen people wearing. But that was essentially 'the moment', without sounding hopelessly cheesy.

The shot that started it all :

'Made in Wonderland' - Elle Girl - July 2004

I still miss Elle Girl terribly and couldn't resist trawling through my old copies. It's amazing as so many of the editorials have remained with me. I love this editorial (above right) 'Dress up, stay in' featuring everyones favourite Alexa Chung.

I only discovered this editorial relatively recently.Although its a few years old, it is exactly the sort of style that I love at the moment. Gorgeous rockabilly - teenage rebel connotations, big hair winged eyeliner, party dresses, need I say more?


'Be my Baby' - Vogue Italia - Stephen Miesel - February 2004

'Future Pefect' - Elle UK - Valerie Phillips - March 2007

The Elle editorial 'Future Perfect' is an absolute favourite of mine. Indeed, a chunk of it is hanging up in my room. I love the luminous modern outfits, the ethereal, nymph - like model and the space age, otherworldly aesthetic.




'Golden Years' - Vogue UK - Corinne Day - October 2007
This editorial is the epitome of fashion for me in so many ways. I love it because it just celebrates haute couture in the most wonderful way. Other then one or two shots, there is little attempt made at offsetting the couture, instead every shot plays on the exaggeration.

How many times have I featured this shoot in some shape or form? I remember I was flicking through Vogue in Easons and came across this shot from the Sophie Dahl story and felt this great wealth of happiness surging through me. There's nothing ground breaking about it, but for me it's nothing short of perfection.


'Rapture' - Vogue UK - Regan Cameron - November 2007

All scans by me (other then 'Be my Baby' editorial and Sophie Dahl image) hence why some may be a bit worse for wear!

25 comments:

Tea For Two said...

Ah, the Future Perfect shot from Elle is fabulous, I've featured that in my blog before. I love the Vogue Italia black and whites too. This is such a great post for getting the mind moving, remembering images that really influenced me..

chicknamedhermia said...

That was a great idea for a feature in Vogue, wasn't it? I love those random collections of photos!

Also love that Made in Wonderland shot in your own inspirations!

I'm sorta hooked on Spanish Vogue right now ....it's been amazing photo-wise recently!

LauraHelen said...

I've never really read Elle or Elle Girl. I only read Teen Voogue. But I do love going back and seeing the past editorials and sometimes getting a little inspiration from past trends.

jayne said...

intriguing concept, I must pick up this issue

lovelydisco said...

These are all great shots. I had that Golden Years editorial taped to my bedroom wall.

Frumps and Jo said...

I love the concept of these photos, not to mention they are stunning!

jamie clare said...

these are BEAUTIFUL editorials. thank you so much for sharing them - - - definitely inspirational.

Susan said...

I was exactly the same when i first saw Elle girl! Not to sound cliched but I'd never seen anything like it. I still look through my old copies as well. Great post. I laughed at the idea of someone shouting 'fashion' at you.

Fashion Moment said...

Fantastic post!

FM~FP

Jenny said...

great post kat, i simply adore the rockabilly shots. you have such an eye, love it!

Sanity Fair said...

The Vivienne Westwood Couture picture is unreal - part fashion, part nature - you can almost hear the marsh birds in the background. I think the magic of it is that the feathery dress evokes an egret.

jessica said...

i love that ed of stam & her short hair .
& alexa's dress is so terribly cute ♥

Daisy said...

This post is wondrous !

ellastica said...

love that Penn image; such impact with so little.
really great creative arrangement of photos in this post!

...love Maegan said...

this is fabulous. love it all.

Robynne said...

Oh wow! You have an amazing blog! So much dedication it's unbelievable. I love your banner and your outfit posts! Keep it coming!

Fashion on edge... xxxoo!

.cocobutterlipbalm said...

The Vogue italia shoot definitely does it for me -I think your blog is really quirky and fresh and would adore if youd check mine out and become a follower - http://cocobutterlipbalmx.blogspot.com

donna AND navaz said...

So nice. Elle Girl was 5 years ahead of its time, no? If it was around now it would be selling millions!

LML said...

i spy a keira dress ;)

Sandra @ Debutanteclothing.com said...

I just discovered your blog doing a search for Brigitte Bardot's gingham wedding dress. Where have I been?? Your blog is amazing and I love your photo selections.

You have a new fan!

Fashionaphylactic. said...

I love these pictures, they're almost dream like because of the effect on them.
Kate - www.dazedyoungmess.blogspot.com ♥

Tam said...

Found your blog while searching for the rest of the '94 Vivienne Westwood couture editorial. (Was it in Vogue UK? Italian Vogue? French Vogue? SO FRUSTRATING, I must see the rest of these photos!)

But I wanted to say that your photo selections are really cool, too.

Cancha-diction said...

I love the teased hair!

disa said...

情趣用品,情趣,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風

Anonymous said...

I should email my girlfriend about it.