Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2009

does she kill?

I have always considered the possibility to look individual as my favourite aspect about having an interest in clothes - standing out, making a statement, the odd gawp courtesy of a surprised onlooker. This, however, when juxtaposed with the traditional notion of fashion presents conflict. Having always hated the cliche of beginning an essay with a dictionary definition, it pains me to do so now, but by dictionary definition fashion is the current popular custom, the latest craze, fad or trend. Yes, fashion is dictated by the Lagerfelds of this world high in their ivory towers with the lay people below clutching at their copy - cat garments. And the people who do take interest in fashion are seen as the zombies, the 'fash - droids'.

The luxury fashion houses certainly influence what we all wear, but is their soul purpose to dictate - do we feel dictated to? Does fashion in its definition destroy the originality of dress sense? I think not. I think the designers and their creations are inspiring and that is their sole purpose - to inspire us. Designer clothing, particularly couture is the dream, the aspiration. It is here argument arises between fashion's critics and fashion's aficionados. If truth be told I wish there were not so many fashion weeks in any one year yet simultaneously this is what makes fashion so exciting - the fast - moving nature of it. I cannot speak for everyone, but for me its just the sheer love and wonder of clothes - the material, construction and concept and inspiration - and the subsequent creation of outfits that makes me a admirer of fashion, regardless of its materialistic nature.

But, back to the initial question - does fashion destroy individuality? I am certainly not the most original dresser. I am influenced my many things, including typical things like celebrities such as Alexa Chung and Kirsten Dunst, fashion magazines and TV characters and sometimes just a single random image. Of course I am also inspired by designer collections. Do I follow trends - certainly, but subconsciously I hope rather then purposefully. Do I feel I have my own style? Yes, I hope so anyway as many of things that influence my style have inspired me with a reasonably long time.

I have always love Mod fashion, adoring the swinging- sixties London look. I love too the 'Parisian' 1960s' look of skinny trousers, horizontal stripes, smoky kohl eyes and flat shoes. I love the 80s - sequins, shoulder - pads, RayBan's and enormous saucer earrings and loved 'Bananarama's' look in the "Do they know its Christmas time?" video long before that Topshop Unique collection came along. I love the contrast between soft and edgy and the androgyny of skinny jeans and winkle - pickers. I love Debbie Harry's style but hate 'tribal'/'ethnic' and 'safari' trends. I love 1940s daywear look and for some reason I have loved for quite some time the notion of the urban British look in the 1980s, something like 'The Smiths' in their "There is a light" music video. I like 50s' rockabilly quiffs and jewellery and blazers and over - the - top skirts. And these are hallmarks of my style, original or not.

That is my point. Trends may seep into my style, but it is still mine. I think of one of my heroes Vivienne Westwood. She despises conformity yet is one of the world's most famous fashion designers. It may appear contradictory, but it proves fashion can still create originality. Those fashion aficionados, like Westwood, who truly do step out of the box, but still continue to love and be apart of fashion are the most inspiring of all. And for those wondering what is the point of originality, I refer to Westwood again: "In this sea of banality, distinction and elegance of dress is of more value today then it ever was before."

14 comments:

Fashion Moment said...

Divine colages!

FM~FP

Diana said...

ooh i like this post

jayne said...

nice essay, i fully agree, sometimes I stop and wonder if being "inspired" is really copying others, but then I realize that there's absolutely no way I can reconstruct an entire outfit, my pieces in my particular closet are different than those of alexa's or twiggy's, plus I will inevitably add on a vintage necklace, bright colored shoes, a cinching belt. and i dunno if designers directly inspire me, i wish i knew how karl lagerfeld influenced me haha, but i know it reminds of how fashion can be a true art form or just fun. great post!

Cris Lazoru said...

You make some very good points, really good essay. And your collages are to die!

C.

ps. love your leather jacket!

Twiggy Mod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Twiggy Mod said...

sorry try again...

Ahhh yes i agree wityh every statement you've made, and think we may be in to the exact same fashion i love it.

WE ♥ Alexa &the swinging 60's timemachine for us?

loving all the pics xxx

|ME said...

I think you manage to describe very well how I too feel about fashion...Very well said..
Thanks for a lovely blog<3
I think we just have to have fun with fashion...And never take it seriously=)

http://myillustratedfashiondiary.blogspot.com

Kira Fashion said...

Amazing Women!

Kisses and kisses :)

Anonymous said...

因為想開小型PARTY,人數約(6人左右)~~找了幾家有ktv的台北汽車旅館,哪家比較好呢?

Anonymous said...

Genius darling genius...

im sure u'll be in the "latest" fashion or should i say inspiration(?) at our little soiree chez la Scanlon.. I do hope so!

Ta ta

chicknamedhermia said...

Amazing collages!

It's a tough question, but I think one of the main fashion philosophies is to be orginal and push the barriers, so even in being different, you're the same!

Can't win really!lol!

donna AND navaz said...

It's all about how you wear it and how you make it yours. It's that simple!

lovelydisco said...

This was a brilliant post. i totally agree with every statement you've made.

x

disa said...

h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片