Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh you pretty things!


So there's all this talk about Victoria Beckham and her new 'do as though it was exactly that new. In all due fairness though, I think she should be applauded. Going short was always going to be a daring venture except that this time she's gone even shorter - respect! The 'Pob' garnered universal 'OMG - ing', publicity, copy - cat hair styles and all that, here's hoping her following (which I gather are quite the flock) will follow suit once more .
The pixie hairstyle is one of my all time favourites. It exposes one's features, lays them bare without any unnecessary hair curtains dangling all over the place. It's edgy without being too much but at the same time is mildly girlish and innocent. And let's face it's very sixties, of course I'm a fan.
Long hair is great, goddess waves, feminine curls, sophisticated straight tresses, all good yet sometimes I think too much of us are hiding behind our hair, relying on it for validation from the opposite sex, a symbol of our attractiveness and femininity as females. I guess there is plenty of time to 'go short' when we're a little more mature but surely short hair should not just be considered 'old' or masculine, when it is neither of these things but quite the opposite in fact, as my collage will show! I for one can't help but wonder how invigorating it must be just to let go and go for the 'chop'.
And just to say, I don't plan to make Victoria a regular feature on this blog, too 'Look' magazine for me..
I realise too that she actually got this hairstyle a while ago, I'm not that behind on celebrity culture!

(click to enlarge)Mia Farrow had the best hair cut ever, surely? Although Twiggy and Edie are not quite at the pixie length they still pretty much rock short hair. Yup, I can hear the shears as we speak...

22 comments:

coco said...

I love Victoria, and I think this cut suits her more than any she has had recently. I really like it.

MISS GLITZY said...

Maybe it's because I cut my hair short but I totally agree with you. And Victoria looks really great with this hair cut.

Miss Karen said...

I love the pixie haircut too and I'm pretty sure she had similar short hair during her spice girls days anyway so I don't see what the fuss is about?

Cris Lazoru said...

I do love it very very much

C.

Romeika said...

This hairstyle looks great on girls with delicate features, like in recent times, Michelle Williams. Victoria pulls it off greatly as well, in a fierce way. But I can't imagine a woman with bold/strong features like Angelina Jolie with such a haircut, for example.

The Stiletto Effect said...

i had that cut last summer, so victoria is not bringing something new! and then when it grew up a little i cut it into something like twiggy meets edie :) now i look like anna wintour lol and i'm not quite sure if i like it :P
great post!
love
su

susy said...

AMEN!

Annie said...

I agree, Mia's haircut was amazing...

penelope said...

ALL I can say is that it takes TONS of guts and confidence to shear off your locks! And of course! Killer cheekbones help too!

LENORENEVERMORE said...

I admire girls who dare to chop off their hair so short... looking fab though! ~Lovely indeed...

Ariella said...

it reminds me of an audrey hepurnish do.... and it suits her so well. Not many people can pull that off.

Dapper Kid said...

I do love pixie cuts, she look amazing with short hair.

ryder said...

i dont like victoria...but this mia style hair cut is really good for her.
but it certanly looks betetr on mia. so i can conclude that it looks betetr on blonds :) ... maybe

LML said...

oh how i wish i could pull off a pixie cut! my hair is far too wavy!

Alya said...

I really like super-short hair (even though mine is super-long), and I'd love to have a pixie cut if I was waifish or petite..

Mary said...

i always contemplate short hair and chicken out!
theres something to be said about security blanket hair, aha.

Juliet said...

The cut is quite excelent and very very brave.

juliet xxx

Sunniva said...

I love the pixie hairstyle so much too! I've always wanted to have really short hair because I think it gives off such a cool, edgy vibe, but when I did go to get my hair cut short it just looked so awful on me :p Still, it looks so amazing on all of these women and I wish it did suit me too, but no such luck haha!

And yes! I'd love to exchange links with you, dear xox

Andy said...

I don't especially like that...
anyway, i posted something new on my blog check it out it's been a while. xxx

donna AND navaz said...

LOVE Jean Seberg, she did it the best! And yeah, why all the fuss about La Beckham, she's had that hair-do before. Also, why does her hair always look like it has too much product in it?

-h of candid cool said...

my favorite victoria hair when she had the long brown hair, but the brunette pob looked good on her too

leelee said...

i think her hair cut is atrocious
sorry