Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Notes on Paris

I was a bit rushed off my feet last week, which left me with no time to prepare a substantial post. I generally try to avoid Fashion Week posts as I think there is only so much one can say when we're months away from said season. Besides, you know me, I like the oldies better! Although no longer a hive of activity, I'm feeling rather lackadaisical right now on the whole so here's a few random musings from Paris Fashion Week, which is managing at least to keep me enthused.

Usually I'm not much of a Stella fan. I never dislike the shows, usually quite like a number of the pieces and enjoy the immense wearability of her collections. The problem is the overall feel that generally misses the mark with me. Too slick, too noughties, too minimal, too clean cut. I find her collections have that late 90's sensibility of luxury - brand - basic purism that is great if you're an affluent career woman but not so if you're just watching the slideshow on you're computer screen. The good news is I really enjoyed this one. Probably because of the dominance of oversized blazers and YSL style androgyny but also because of the obvious trendiness of cute dresses, high waisted trousers and loose playful garments.


I might be over - exaggerating but it appears to me that 50's style is always a firm favourite for the spring/summer season. Giambattista Valli has adopted the look for his latest collection and 50's Balenciaga was certainly a constant on the inspiration board. Indeed, its seriously 50s, no paint splashed 50's volume like Dolce and Gabbana last spring. Its lace, its cream, its prim and proper, Sunday services kind of stuff, stiff petticoated skirts and neat capes. Regardless, I like the pretty fusty - ness. I am dreamily in love with Nicolas Ghesquière's sping collection for Balenciaga, especially these otherworldy space age lovelies. Never thought it was possible to make such uber - modern - techno clothes look so romanic. Star - crossed lovers, indeed.
There is a lot of spangle going on in other areas of the collection. I love when you can look at a collection and already envision it being used to the greatest level in editorials and this is certainly the case with the latest Balenciaga. It's glittery, its sparkly and its incredibly feminine in parts, in that famously post - modern way, of course.

19 comments:

Miss Karen said...

Balenciaga has definitely been one of my favourites of the season - I love the futuristic theme coupled with the light colour palette. Sensational!

jayne said...

i get so bored with runways as well, its a bit ridiculous to be discussing spring when its not even officially autumn yet! but these are some of the best looks, love the suits of stella and chanel is always perfect

trendology said...

I'm a tad overwhelmed by all the spring shoes- still adjusting to fall but I loved Chanel and Galliano's hats for sure!

Juliet said...

I actually like that we get to see what designers think far before we have to think at all, now we actually can start to build our own look and to find something that fits the theme from second ahnd for example.

juliet xxx

beccajanie said...

Balenciaga is fabulous as always.

Those pink feather shoes are questionable at best. eek!

LML said...

you just summed up most of my favorites - love!

Aretha said...

Tha guitar shaped bag is my fav hahaha

Dana (MODAna) said...

omg HOW AMAZING would a Chanel guitar case be?!?!?!

Elisabeth said...

Great post; I love the padded guitar bag! How brilliant!

The Stiletto Effect said...

I love those chanel bags

Bojana said...

Haaa, I also saw that Chanel Haute Couture similarity in Balenciaga!
Good to know I'm not the only one ;)

Isa said...

Love the Chanel shoes and for the rest, let's see in 6 months !

coco said...

I'm not a big Stella fan either but I quite liked this collection. The blazers are nice.

Cris Lazoru said...

Nicolas G. is a GOD! And I love this post soo well presented.

C.

donna AND navaz said...

Interesting what you said about Stella McCartney. I wonder if there's a difference between how you respond to a collection when you see it live on the catwalk compared to seeing pictures on Style.com. I guess the answer is yes, otherwise designers wouldn't go to all that trouble selecting the music/location etc. The vibe of the show is as important as the clothes when it comes to how one remembers the collection. Hmm ignore me, I'm just thinking aloud! I like the Chanel 'carrier' bags, they're so Karl!
nx

Ana said...

I love how Nicolas did romantic pastels on sleek space age dresses.

Sunniva said...

Such a great review from Paris Fashion Week, dear! I loved Stella McCartney's collection, especially all the gorgeous blazers, and I really enjoyed McQueen's sparkly pieces.

xox

penelope said...

Stella McCartney has got some really fab blazers and I love John Galliano's collection! The prints and ruffles are GENIUS!

I dont know about you but the one thing I do not like Chanel's collection is that 2.55 bag with the chains hanging frm it's side! It's classic and they should not be tampering with it! LOL I'm such an oldie!

Annie said...

Ha! That guitar shaped bag is great..