Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

little red riding hood, style icon?



My lasting image of The Duchess, starring one Miss. Knightley, was a picture - postcard image of said actress in a satin - embossed cape. Indeed, after seeing the garment in question, I spent the rest of the movie envisioning such a majestic item and the sort of life- scenarios it would expect - flinging on floor - sweeping cape, the hood shielding my face from the elements, the enormous expanse of material flapping and billowing as I mount a snowy - white horse - OK, so my imagination ran away with me, but pretending to be Arwen from the Lord of the Rings is often a fun way to while away a few hours and it is not a coincidence that she too was fervent cape wearer. Bringing myself back down to earth or in this case demounting myself from that wily beast - my imagination -, I started thinking and incidentally, capes, capes and more capes seems to sum up those thoughts. Although the grand cloak rather then cape was the initial inspiration, 60's style cape coats are probably more appropriate for everyday lifestyle. For a nighttime affair, Kate Moss's lace cape or 20's flapper cape make a nice change from a blazer.


How fantastic is that Balmain cape? A short cape with a hood would have been considered a mythical item but this image proves otherwise. Grace Kelly works the more Little Red Riding Hood style of cape whereas Audrey Hepburn does 'nun chic'. That Pucci cloak is a nauseating piece of work but undoubtedly fun to fling on. Marianne Faithful's cape is exactly what I have in mind, dramatic but utterly wearable too.
OK, firstly, yes that is Cory Kennedy in the corner and no, I'm not a fan of her either but I just happened to stumble upon this image of her wearing..yes..a cape. It appears, that now the cape is actually quite a favourite with hipsters, Mary Kate did after all only don one about a week ago and those captured by Facehunter love them. I wish I could have got my hands on the black lace cape that Kate Moss did for her Topshop range last winter and as we are in the spirit of wishing things, who wouldn't love the glitzy/medieval -'Robin Hood goes to Vegas'-cape Lily Cole wore for that Vogue shoot?

23 comments:

jayne said...

ooo never loved capes until you brought them up, but they are quite chic! love marianne faithfulls!

beccajanie said...

I have always loved the cape idea. That picture of Keira Knightley is gorgeous too..

Alya said...

Dont we all have fantasies of wearing floor-sweeping capes and prancing about in fields filled with flowers and horses?

Miss Karen said...

I have such a secret love of capes - next winter I swear I'm going to get one! Thank you for posting these incredible images :D

Nature Grafitti said...

i loved that cape that Lily wore :)

ellastica said...

i got one for christmas one year as a kid and wore it to death.

penelope tree, yoko one and kate bush spring to mind as mystical cloak-draped heroine types.

Annie said...

They look very cozy

Juliet said...

I have been looking for one the whole summer, but as I wouldn't want it to be manufactured in factory , to be H&M or any other easy access label I am still waiting.

juliet xxx

Isa said...

Of course it's always a fashion icon, because each woman is a little red hood !!

MISS GLITZY said...

The Balmain's cape is awesome, such a style and modernity, I love it.

coco said...

Gosh this post is fabulous. I love how you have found really great pictures from then and now to go with it. I really love this look.

yiqin; said...

I WANT A CAPE TOO! Especially wit a batman logo at the back & a hoodie!!

penelope said...

I always adore the pictures you've managed to find to complement your posts and the transition was done so beautifully! The Duchess seems like the perfect kind of movie for me and I'll be sure to catch it! Also! You looked amazing in that prev post! So ethereal!

noah zahara said...

loveyour blog,
noah

Dana (MODAna) said...

I totally didn't notice this and the relation to rrh
I like the shorter capes better

Sunniva said...

Wonderful post!!
Great idea of putting together pictures of different people wearing capes from then and now. After looking at these photos, I have a really big lusting for a cape!

Bojana said...

I had an infatuation with capes at the beginning of last year. There was a red , short one in Zara I wanted soooo much but ended up...not buying it. I shall regret it my whole life. Teehee

Anyways, nice post!

LML said...

i think i would feel oh so cool in a cape!

M said...

i love capes! the one lily cole is wearing is gorgeous!

The Stiletto Effect said...

kate moss lace cape is my fav :)

this wheel's on fire said...

hi i'm so glad i found your blog! i love it :)

Mary said...

Oooh I love capes on other people but fear wearing them for myself. I love the silhouette they create over apencil skirt too... the volume and then a stark black line. Yum.

Aretha said...

I totally adore Marianne in that cape. What a classic picture