Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Girl in Checked Shirt

To a certain extent, this is the outfit post to correspond with my post "Lives in a house, a very big house in the Country", which was I must admit several weeks ago but better late then never, eh?!
The idea of doing this outfit post however, opened up a whole other can of worms concerning the following of trends. I'm going to make this short and sweet as my last post was erring on the side of 'teenage strop'. The initial idea for this outfit sprung from my admiration of Dolce and Gabbana's a/w collection, which incidentally is interesting in its self as usually I'm not too bothered about Dolce and Gabbana, as well as D & G's collection and also from my obsession with the 'Girl in the Checked Shirt and Leopard print Skirt' in D & G's Pre - Fall ad campaign. However, in admitting that, does it make me a shame - faced trend follower who should be pelted with issues of avant garde fashion magazines in the street or someone who merely liked a collection and used it as a font of inspiration? You see although I dearly hope its the latter, I know there will be someone tutting to themselves clucking 'Trend Whore! Trend Whore!". If there is so be it. I loved Dolce's aesthetic especially and the very English combination of industrial - city meets Grandma in the country inspiration. When that sort of combination fits so well anyway into my style (I rather enjoy a old - fashioned, vintage look), why should I apologise for it?


The skirt(Mango) has served me well for several years now, through Russo - romance to my beloved 40s to a bit of mix and match. The neck scarf was a find in Italy. The grandmother element of it makes me very happy indeed. The boots I have had with too long and the shirt is from Topshop. The trench makes it a little bit more outdoorsy.
The beret(above) was a gift.

18 comments:

jayne said...

wow amazing post! you really should do outfit posts more often, your sense of style is awesome! lovely proportions in this particular outfit and nice plaid (grunge) and floral (girly) mix! the beret is cute too especially since i'm like obsessed w/ berets hehe.

Miss Karen said...

you look incredible! It's tough when your own personal style goes on the trend-mill - you not only see so many ghastly interpretations of it (I see the 60s get massacred every winter here in Australia) but there's also the feeling that what used to make you individual and unique is now part of the mass fashion bandwagon. But I think most people can tell the difference and I certainly can see that your outfit is not trend-based but your own style :D

beccajanie said...

Amazing post! You look gorgeous! I love the plaid shirt and skirt, it's delightful!

Audrey Leighton said...

Hi,

My name is Audrey Rogers. I am style editor for The Durham Sanctuary University Newpaper, I also am a contributor for fashionverbatim.net and have my own blog: www.befrassy.com. I just wanted to say, that I LOVE your blog, its content is truly inspirational and I love the way you present fashion to your blogger audience. Yours has, I must admit, become a must-read for me. Anyway, I was wondering, would you like to exchange links? Personally I would love to reccommend your blog to my readers and would really appreciate it if you did the same for me. So let me know, check me out on www.befrassy.com, for some delicious fashion ramblings and digressions!

xxxx audrey leighton rogers

coco said...

You wear this look really well. I don't think I could pull it off. I'm not into the country or looking like I am, I'd look stupid in it.

Elisabeth said...

You look gorgeouse and I adore your pearl earrings!

yiqin; said...

I love your pearl earrings!!! If only I am not sensitive to earrings :( clipons are soo hard to find!

LML said...

WOW! you nailed "the look". i would totally wear this! i agree with jayne - you SHOULD do more outfit posts!

Juliet said...

very 70s and country-side!

juliet xxx

miss vintage love said...

I love plaid!

The Clothes Horse said...

I like the look--that is a great skirt. It's trendy, but I like to think of it as a modern take on a classic--not so different from what an old country lady would wear, just updated.

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

terrible hair?!?!?!
try amazing hair.
You look awesome, that trench is TDF

trendology said...

your outfit still looks very original!

Romeika said...

What an amazing outfit, so romantic and country like. I love the pearl earrings and your beautiful red hair.

ellastica said...

i understand your trend dilemma.
i've been listening to 'indie' since i was 10. i've loved charlotte gainsbourg since '96. i've been an avid fashion mag collector since age 6. now all these loves are trendy and hip. cash cow fodder for 'underground' posturing or whatever. it makes me sick even tho i know my attitude is completely juvenile and retarded. i always loathed ELLEgirl's tagline "dare to be different" when in reality they just promoted homogenized hipster bs for teeny boppers. same for Nylon. i say "dare to be yourself." wear friggin abercrombie if you so choose while listening to some obscure band Nylon will feature in their "indie music issue" in 5-10 years. i do.
ok i'm done now.

MR style said...

nice

Catherine Ashley Talks fashion said...

Hey, I'm Lucy from Catherine Ashley Talks Fashion.

I just want to share my love for music with you at

http://indiebomb.blogspot.com/

Please drop by and add comments or songs..

xoxo...

my beau monde said...

WOW!!! just discovered your blog...wish i had found it sooner! every post is amazing! i just started my own www.mybeaumonde.blogspot.com would love to trade links!