Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dress - up Box

Ever wondered what it would be like if you could have a dressing up box filled with whatever goodies you wanted. If I was actually to imagine, this is what it might look like although I admit I would take a little more advantage of the unlimited possibilities of the imagination and cram it with a few 1930s goddess gowns and some modern day haute couture as well. This is just a little taster of what clouds over my mind when I should be paying attention in class...but that's a whole other story.
This is just a selfish post really as I'm not bringing anything new to the fore here, (my picks are all rather terribly obvious if you read this blog frequently, indeed, many have been posted here before) just making pretty collages of outfits that I consider dreamy.

Scarlett Johansson is certainly no style icon of mine but this has to be one of the prettiest gowns I had seen in recent years. You all know to well that I am a sucker for vintage inspired looks and the 1940s is in my top three of favourite fashion decades, so for me this dress ticks all the right boxes. I love the modest elegance, the girly sash, the femme fatale lips, that add that all important 40s' vampish finish and that cute as pie diamond butterfly clip.

I am cringing to be honest, as I post this collage. "Winner of the most frequently posted dress on any one blog award" has got to go to Alexa in Luella on She's in Vogue. Seriously, though, how could I not have an imaginary dress - up box without this scrumptious, tiered delight. The perfect prom dress.
The obvious choice from Rear Window is of course that extraordinary, Cinderella white and black confection but for some reason, this is the more subtle, less dramatic ensemble that comes to mind when I think of the film. That white halter has to be one of the most perfectly constructed understated garments, that green suit looks effortlessly sophisticated yet almost casual and Grace teaches a masterclass in accessorising.

Although I love Carrie's style in Sex and the City, I find a large proportion of her outfits, despite initial swooning, seem to evaporate from my mind - I find them impossible to recall (for that reason you will probably not never see a 'Carrie's style, related post here!). This, however, along with some of her gowns from the final Parisian episodes do happen (perhaps, come to think of it because I have seen these later episodes far more frequently then some of the earlier ones) to stick. This is perhaps my favourite. Imagine frolicking about the house wearing that Balenciaga, polka - dot dress, you just can't get more dress up!
Was I the only person who thought this was actually a genius look?! Quite probably but fashion is subject to clash of opinions. These were the days when Sienna outshone her contemporaries with her red carpet looks and made the headlines because of her daring fashion sense rather then her troublesome personal life. Perhaps this was a little...how do I put it....eh..'Look at me' but sense then such garments have been cropping up all over the place. Regardless, I love the 60s'/Edie vibe to this look and actually, leaving out the under garment for a moment, that jumper is rather terrific.

Well if a girl is going to have a dress up box, well she has to have a wedding dress. I have shunned the enormous meringues of cinematic/fashion history and have instead opted for Funny Face's simple, knee length wedding dress. If you're going to be prancing about in Sienna's above look one day, you should be all elegant and Audrey the next.
I am having a little obsession with Madonna's Susan look at late. The glitzy jacket, kitsch bow in the hair and Wayfarers are my idea of brilliance and fashion bound together. I know I mentioned 30s' gowns earlier but scatch that I want some 80s instead!
I am not lying when I say this is one of my favourite shoots ever. I love Debbie Harry's Blondie look anyway but make it all nice and sleek and designer, is, perhaps, dare I say it even better. Blazers, berets, slouchy sweaters, Wayfarers, animal print, rainbow makeup, oh yes, there is a heaven.
This picture isn't entirely accurate actually as to be honest all those outfits, those spangly frivolous things, in The Great Gatsby, are the makings of a truly fun dress - up box. Mia Farrow does look fantastic in this flapper - by - day look. The pearls and 'do and that little brooch on the edge of her neck scarf make it a keeper.
I have noticed on numerous blogs a sailor - girl dress obsession. Nautical is one of the fashion world's greatest trend rehash but somehow the traditional, Popeye sailor look is ever popular. And I'm not complaining, kitsch is generally cool. Cassie's sailor dress from Skins was the most popular driving force behind the look of late but as I had never watched the show, Debbie Harry's 1979 version has me 'Ahoy- ing' in agreement, that one needs a vintage sailor dress.

"Where worries melt like chimneys tops and....Kat wears this Chanel dress." Yes, somewhere over the rainbow, I am wearing this dress.

I don't think this outfit has ever quite ever left my mind. Once again this ticks all the right boxes for me. Over the top - yes, sparkly midnight blue - yes, vintage - yes, flamboyant glam - rock style - yes, cute flapper bag - yes, Kate donning curly hair reminiscent of my own - yes. Ok, that might not be the criteria I always use, but it works in this scenario.
What outfits would you cram an imaginary dress - up box with?

24 comments:

Miss Karen said...

Those are some fantastic dresses! I'd throw in some Biba and Ossie Clarke dresses too, a few flapper designs with lots of tassles and I'd be all set :D

jayne said...

ooo great choices, and great post, and great idea, since you even asked the question of our favs at the bottom, my next post will be this :) thanks for the inspiration. love scar jos dress and carrie! plus everyone loves alexa's duh! ;)

Bojana said...

Wow, amazing post!!

I've been away for too long, I missed your posts, seriously.

Loveee xx

tramy said...

oh if only that dress-up box really existed *sigh*

that pink ruffle dress is so pretty! i'd definitely add that into my dress-up box ^___^

coco said...

I would take all of the costumes from SATC. ALL of them!!!

I love this post.

Oh yeah I'd also want Ashley and Nicole's clothes in there. I need more of a house than a box don't I?

Alya said...

great post. But completely and utterly difficult for me!! I really absolutely can't say.

Aretha said...

Sienna and Kate can't go wrong! I loved both looks, and they got stuck into my mind too heheh

penelope said...

That Luella Bartley's dress is so pretty! And if I were to have my way; I would want to raid Blair's and Serena's wardrobe! I'm rewatching GossipGirls now and honestly! All the outfits are stuck in my head!

LML said...

oooh these are all wonderful - i dream about these too! another one of my favorites is michelle williams at the oscars in that beautiful mustard yellow vera wang gown...

beccajanie said...

You have some lovely choices in there for sure! I think in my dress-up box I'd want some vivienne westwood, and galliano couture pieces for REAL dressup, anything and everything ever worn by Audrey Hepburn, Blair Waldorf's sailor dress from GG and and and .... the list is endless! Oh the possibilities!

The Clothes Horse said...

Lovely choices. I think my dress up box would be stocked with Rodarte and Givenchy...

Lana said...

Great post :D.

If I have to choose, I will choose the Balenciaga polkadot dress, Debbie Harry's entire wardrobe and Kate Moss'glam dress.

Dapper Kid said...

Oh wow WONDERFUL choices :) I totally love Alexa's dress!

THE HOUSE OF STYLE said...

fantastic looks dear! really like that 40's gown and i was such a fan of madonna during that desperately seeking susan phase.oh and in my dress up box,it'd be carrie outfits,katherine hepburns fab wide leg trousers and all marianne faithfulls clothes.
x
Marian

Sunniva said...

Oh how I'd love to have a dress-up box with all of my dream outfits! I LOVED this post, and your choices are so great. And I was so glad to see that someone else actually liked Sienna Miller's outfit..I thought I was the only one too haha!

xxx

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

great dress selections.
Truly wonderful if I'd have a place to wear the Chanel dress to... or the cash to make that happen.

Mary said...

I love how meaty and how much information is in all of your post! It's incredibly satisfying to read....a nd I really love how the first outfit has sparkly broaches and red lipstick... just like you said in your comment! Bahah.

I would add hooker heels (like Alaia and Louboutin) with pencil skirts and very lady like blouses! Divine!

Ariella said...

These pictures are great, and such an inspiration. I also loved the Carrie outfits from Paris and especially that polka dot dress. Oh, and the dress Alexa Chung is wearing is stunning, too.

MR style said...

u saved the best for last: kate moss !!!!

Isa said...

All are fantastic but my favorite is Alexa Chung ! she used to be so classy ...

Bombchell said...

scarlettes makeup was divine!

Diana Coronado said...

I love Carrie's dress, simple cute !!

Catherine Ashley Talks fashion said...

Aww
amazing post

xoxo

susy said...

such a classic carrie outfit!