Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Girls really should just have fun

I have never understood why people insist on referring to the 80s as 'the decade fashion forgot'. Its no problem at all if all that opulence and glitz is just too much in this minimalist age, but for me personally, I can never get enough of pure, unapologetic 80s' fashion; lame, leggings and ridiculously big hair dos and all. Indeed, it has been mentioned a lot here, frequently in comments, about my love of 80s fashion (it says so under the 'About me' header), so it is only fitting to compile this post really. Imagine my delight though, when I was researching for my post 'Anarchy in...autumn' a while back and noticed a lot of 80s -isms - shiny material, clashing colours, big bows, puffball skirts etc, yes, someone had a smile plastered across their face. Much of Betsy Johnson's a/w show seemed in my eyes as a tribute to Debbie Harry in her Blondie days and a further look at some more shows with the 80s firmly in mind, proved my theory right - the 80s are acceptable again! These shows only reaffirm my love of 80s' style and why exactly it is that I love that era so much, but perhaps, they will also manage to encourage those previously of a negative disposition to come over to the 'ker-azy- 80s' side.

And the 80s certainly is crazy, that's why I love it so much. Compared to nowadays where fashion seems so serious - dark, edgy, moody - the majority of the time, the 80s appears to have a sense of humour and vivaciousness, two things that I consider very important regarding clothes. I adore the faux - grandeur of Dynasty - esque glamour, the playful punkiness of Madonna in her Desperately Seeking Susan Days, the slouchy-trashiness of the 80s' rock chick look, the huge hair and super - colourful spectacle that is 80's make -up. Basically, lets just all abandon 'edgy magazine editorial - cool' for a moment, and let our hair down, with a spritz of hair spray, of course..
Ease yourself into 80s' style with a spangly or leather jacket. Personally speaking though, I wouldn't be able to get enough of Kate Bush's seriously awesome purple sequinned jacket.

Frills and puffballs are pure, 80s' fashion magic! Think less 80s' prom flouncy disasters and more short 'n' flirty, youthful creations like at Marc by Marc Jacobs.

You don't get more 80s then the cave woman - asymmetrical shoulder look. It has surprisingly got quite a revival recently with shows like Balmain, showcasing a whole host of one - shouldered numbers.

The 80s was all about sparkle and glitz. Sophistication wasn't the name of the game, like it is today, but rather more is more is more. Flamboyant, luxe and completely over the top was what this decade stood for in fashion terms.
Sparkle like a star or...um...like the blonde one from 'Dynasty' in glitzy lames and shiny foils.
One of the most iconic looks of the 1980s was the Princess Diana fussy, high - collared blouse and indeed, the late princess continues to inspire today.
If all that glitter is just too damn glam, put a bow in your hair and jam on the old guitar, looking effortlessly cool in tuxedo jackets, slouchy sweaters and drainpipes.
For that mega 80s look, think frivolous, puffy shapes, big bows and sumptuous swathes of satin.

Photos of 80s supermodels and ad campaigns etc. courtesy of the Fashion Spot

25 comments:

♥ fashion chalet said...

I read your comment in regards to the interview I gave to style-spot.blogspot.com and I wanted to thank you for what you said!! :)

jayne said...

hmm i've never loved the 80s, it kinda seemed tacky to me, but i do agree fashion is so over the top drama and seriousness now, so the 80s was a breath of truly fresh air. once again you did a fab job at compiling runways and reality!

Miss Victory said...

Thanks for this post. I love the frivolity of the 80s. The fashion and music and movies just make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Miss Karen said...

wow I love all these pictures - I have a deep love of the 80s because I was a small child then so all the crazy colours and exaggeration were perfect. Kate Bush has and always will be a style icon as well as a musical love. Awesome!

Isa said...

I like some things and other less ... I cracks on the small green dress of cyndi crawford, I had almost the same when I was a teenager !!

mary said...

Ahhh the 80s! Hate them on me, love them on other people. Love the hot pink leggins, the assymetrical dress, the bouffant hair.. but that's not who I am. I love people who can pull them off though, so I look forwards to seeing more of them on you!

I'm so pleased I inspired you, and I have definitely linked you. I always forget to but you are definitely more than worthy!

Annie said...

Great picks! I love all the Balmain looks...

Lana said...

Great post! Looking at those pictures, I wouldn't mind living in the 80's!

THE HOUSE OF STYLE said...

the good ol' eighties.The permed hair and puff sleeves. love the images you posted.
x
marian

Juliet said...

it is odd to love 80s and 60s at the same time :D.

juliet xxx

LML said...

i totally agree - i think this falls collections were all havily inspired by the 80's

lucy said...

i loved 80's artists. Kate Bush/Fame 2 of my favorites. growing up i thought the fashion magazines were fabulous. and Christian Dior was my favorite designer. IMO he did the 80's best!!

Great collection of pictures. You examples were perfect!

Aretha said...

I really like the 80's fashion, actually I don't think it's a horrible decade, and I love how you put these looks with the new inspired!

The Clothes Horse said...

Nice comparisons. I think the 80s was just a bit too much of excess, so we look back and get a bit frightened by the extremes. I personally love 80s music as well and my parents think I'm crazy! ^_^

lucy said...

i mistakingly said Christian Dior was my favorite designer from the 80's, although his fashions were very good,i just recalled it was Yves Saint Laurent, who is my absolute favorite designer from that time.

Sunniva said...

Thank you so much for this post, dear! I really enjoyed it. I miss the humour and and creativity that was put into 80s fashion, and even though a lot of the 80s outfits were crazy, I wish more people today would more chances like they did then. I second that girls really should just have more fun ;)

xxx

discothequechic said...

fantastic post!

it's really inspired me to go thrifting and find a foil shirt..

beccajanie said...

I too am a huge fan of the eighties. I think perhaps because two of my older sisters were teens in the eighties when I was still quite little, but in awe of their clothes and music. So I like that some of the styles are being brought back in a modern way.

A FABULOUS post. Loved it.

emily said...

thank you so much for this post! i love the eighties fashion!

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

this post is so brilliant and well researched!
I saved nearly ever pic on my comp

Kat said...

Love the mixed reactions to the 80s, its good to get a range of opinions! I know the 80s certainly isn't for everyone, I mean, I certainly don't go out in head to toe 80s attire but I like the idea of a little 80s' oppulence with a bit of modern edge. It's just about having fun, isn't it?! Thanks for the kind comments.

haha Lucy, don't worry about making that mistake, they were both rather brilliant!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Fashion didn't forget it
the 80s are back, especially the last couple of years
I never thought I would say this, but I love it.
wish we could come up with something more origional instead of copying the past.

coco said...

I love the '80s. I love the music too. Last night I watched Pretty Woman and was swooning over a few of the costumes.

JadoreVogue said...

Like your blog! x

Alya said...

Your runway collections images compared to the 80's ones were right on the spot!