Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Anarchy in ...autumn

As a spear header of the punk movement of 1977, no one can do the quintessential 'punk'/'rockchick look quite like the Queen of Punk - Vivienne Westwood - herself. Her a/w collection still boasts an attitude as bold as her early collections for Sex, her legendary Kings' Road shop at the height of the punk movement. This time, its more refined with elegant military coats, prim court shoes, slouchy sweaters, sheer tights, the occasional bloom of bright pink, sophisticated trenches; overall an utterly wearable yet striking collection, that makes it startlingly obvious that Westwood no longer needs to resort to rips and studs to provide vitality and the aforementioned attitude.

The original punk look coined by Westwood and her contemporaries continues to inspire designers and this season, sees several designers maybe not exactly going down the whole 'Anarchy in the UK' route in its entirety but certainly drawing inspiration from that era in British rock history. If there is one look, I really despise, its that pseudo - punk/rock chick look ala Avril Lavigne. Skull and crossbones, pink tartan, leggings, an 'ironic' tutu, you know those plastic and rubber studded accessories you get in Claire's Accessories; downright obnoxious attire if you fit into the over twelves category. Perhaps, then, this is just me, (hopefully) providing inspiration for a more mature take on the whole punk - girl thang.

Short jackets, zips, leather trousers, shirts tucked into belted trousers; the chilled - out punk, perhaps? Leather, jumpsuits, sheer detailing, black; unleashing that inner dominatrix punk. I find Comme Des Garcons' a/w collection thoroughly 1977 punk. The ripped detailing, shredded material, plastics, cage designs, jackets and the strange deconstruction of garments are almost traditionally non - conformist and for me, seeped in punk culture. The tartan at House of Holland could have been a disaster merely because its more fun then edgy but I still quite like this look..probably because of the matching eye - patch.

picture of punk women in dresses courtesy of jennylens.com

22 comments:

jayne said...

loved this post! your fashion history posts are always the best bar none :) nice photo collages!

Kira Fashion said...

I do love westwood and the punk style is really cool!!!

a kiss!!

mary said...

I love these pictures... although I tend to dress very prim there's still a tiny rebelion in my I didn't manage to satisfy with my goth years... and these pictures are totally bringing it out.

M said...

i'm pretty sure the vivianne westwood and comme des garcons are the reigning rock/punk collections.
well at least, that's what i think.

yepp apparently. Nicole is the highest paid actress!

miss vintage love said...

I love the old punk style! Great post!

Romany said...

Wow. This is really well-researched and incredibly detailed. I have to say, I've never been a particularly huge fan of rock-chic fashion but this post is making me doubt my previous tastes. :)
Romany
xx

emsie said...

brilliant post. im looking forward to seeing how this trend translates.

Elisabeth said...

Ah, Westwood. She is truly wonderful!

Loved this post!

Ana said...

I always like a dash of punk..some lace or a few pins. It makes everything more exciting.

The Clothes Horse said...

Great post. Punk's never been my style, but it is very appealing at the moment.

coco said...

Vivienne herself is just such an icon. I love her style!

i think thats hauttte said...

you have an awesome blog..this was such a wellwritten post!

Times of Glory said...

Dear, this is one of the best posts! I adore Westwood and her unique punk and quirky dress sense is simply full of humour and style xxxxxxxx

sydneydoll said...

i COMPLETELY agree.

with most of what you said.
avril lavigne is not punk at all!
ties around your neck is not punk.

westwood has great style.
she is gwen stefani's favourite, and she even mentioned her in her song.

your blog is great.

Dapper Kid said...

LOVE Westwood, she is crazy in the right way :)

Fashionstyle said...

Lovely post, "très" rock and roll !!

Sunniva said...

great post! no-one does punk better than Vivienne Westwood, and every season she proves it. all these photos are candy for the eyes!

xxx

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Thank you for teaching me something;)

Miss Karen L said...

I love your blog!

But back on topic hehe: I totally agree about the pseudo rock/punk look, it's completely devoid of the original intent and attitude that spurred on the punk culture. I love Vivienne Westwood (and Malcolm) and love the pictures you've featured.

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

Hi from Paris stylish Kat !

Great and good news for lots of you who wanted my street style and Paris fashion weeks stories translated.
Thanks to Google translator widget (in the upper right of the blog ), they now can be read in the language of your choice.

To celebrate that, I posted 87 new photos from the Paris fashion week.

There are already 6000 photos online : 225 street style and 63 Paris fashion weeks photos novels.

Thank you all for your support, comments and links that has motivated me to make Style and the City the great Paris street style and fashion week blog that humanize fashion
I love you all and wish you a very great week end.
I'm thrilled to read your comments now you can read my stories in Paris

Cheers from Paris

Kamel LAHMADI
STYLE AND THE CITY. COM - PARIS

Iheartshoes said...

I love this post! I learned a few things AND it was inspirational.
Love Vivienne Westwood...she's so creative and a little off the beaten path. I never tire of her.

ed said...

一夜情聊天室,一夜情,情色聊天室,情色,美女交友,交友,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,成人交友,愛情公寓,做愛影片,做愛,性愛,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人影片,成人,成人貼圖,18成人,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人影城,成人小說,成人文章,成人網站,成人論壇,情色貼圖,色情貼圖,色情A片,A片,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,寄情築園小遊戲, 情色A片,色情影片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,A片下載

情色,A片,AIO,AV,日本AV,色情A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,A片下載,情色A片,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,成人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,辣妹視訊,情色視訊,成人,成人影片,成人光碟,成人影城,自拍

A片,AIO,AV,日本AV,色情A片,AV女優,A漫,AIO交友愛情館,線上A片,免費A片,A片下載,情色A片,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人影片,成人光碟,成人影城,成人交友,愛情公寓,色情聊天室,情色貼圖,色情,色情影片,做愛,情色,哈啦聊天室,聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,自拍,性愛

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,情趣用品,情趣用品,A片,A片,情色,情色

情色視訊,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友90739,視訊,免費視訊,情人視訊網,視訊辣妹,影音視訊聊天室,視訊交友,視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,成人視訊,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,小高聊天室