Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Lives in a house, a very big house in the country"

It is no lie that I like to dress up and fully embrace the somewhat costume drama element of fashion. I adore dressing as though I have stepped out of time machine or off a period film set. Recently when I was flicking through Vogue's catwalk report, rather unimpressed mind you - military, statement coats and get this, black , how very radical, something did manage to jump out at me in a flashbulb 'this is how I'm going to dress for the bulk of the winter' moment - posh, British manor country attire. Suddenly, I felt inspired and the mere thought of silk scarfs and tweeds was making my heart do tiny somersaults, so much so, that the next day I was wearing exactly that.

The best way to describe this style is to think of a lovely, well dressed elderly lady, perhaps at the races. Imagine too, afternoon tea in wonderful old English estates and out - doorsy exploits in vast, green acres. For clothes, I'm thinking tweeds, thick wool jackets, knee length skirts, cardigans, the occasional frivolity of a frilled blouse, grand, old - world jewellery - pearls, brooches, gold - , blazers, even better with leather elbow patches, checks and of course, the customary silk headscarf.

If you really want to make a statement, scour dusty attics for hunting caps like at Carolina Herrara. Feathers make the perfect finish to countryside ensembles.

An unlikely, but none the less apt style icon for this look, is Queen Elizabeth II. Her Balmoral headscarves are incredibly chic and to be honest, I'm hankering for a return to this sort of modest, ladylike dressing. I would not be surprised if headscarves turn out to be the new 'bow in the hair' with cool Facehunter type people.
There is, of course, a certain regal element to this style as not only do I recommend escaping to enormous country estates and counting Queen Elizabeth as a style icon, but early Princess Diana was the perfect lady of the manor too. Ruffles, wool cardigans, pearls, scarves, thick coats, fussy blouses and horsey attire were all staples for the young Diana as well as being a plenty on this seasons' runways.

26 comments:

jayne said...

ooo thank you for this post! i love the british eccentric style and am eager to bust out the plaids & tweeds again this fall! you did another great job of assembling style icons and runway reports, D&G is fab!

makemoremistakes said...

girl you and i are a style match made in heaven! i love love love everything in this post. Fabulous.

xo
angela

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

so into peacock feathers this season too :)

Romany said...

How lovely -- this would be a very original trend to bring back. And god knows we haven't actually seen an original trend in quite some time.
I quite like that top pic, by the way. Is that from the Vogue Runway Report?
Romany
xx

yiqin; said...

I love the peacock feathers! I need to find a nice one soon! & awesome post :D

iƱaki said...

It's like you read my mind and you wrote a blog post about it!!!!!!!!! Love it.

xx

The Clothes Horse said...

I love this look. I wonder about certain vintage pieces, will I wear them or not, but pretty much always I do, because once I put them on I just feel so fantastic in them!

Always In Style said...

I do love that tweedy British country look...I tend to break out a version of it each Fall.

Love your runway picks!

coco said...

You have really pinned this look down. I love the post.
Paul Smith is always stylish.

Kira Fashion said...

The vintage style is so wonderful and I am sure you have personality to put in on you!

a kiss my friends,
great post!!!

Fashion Tidbits said...

i LOVE this style!!!!!!!! english chic is the best!

Fashion Tidbits said...

i LOVE this style!!!!!!!! english chic is the best!

Fashion Tidbits said...

i LOVE this style!!!!!!!! english chic is the best!

Fashion Fleur said...

i love oldfashioned looks... (=

Allure said...

I really like tweed, in fact I own several pieces. It just looks so good and elegant,besides it's one of the best fabrics for winter.

Ana said...

I love this look..the whole english eccentric woman with a feather in her hat is great. I've been buying quite a bit of such pieces:feather hair pieces, tweed blazers, crests and argyle socks.

Siljesfashion said...

Great post! Love princess Dianas style, she was a true style inspiration. Love the skarfs and the tweeds, perfect for fall.

LML said...

yes! for trends this fall i keep on seeing the words "countryside chic" and this is exactly it! i wish ppl dressed up more like they used to :(
i am loving this trend tho!

Belle said...

I love fall/winter clothing the best. I love layering different textures. I really want to get a tweed jacket or skirt this year. This was a great post.
Belle

mary said...

Loved this entire post. Of course, my favourite part is the scarfs!

lara said...

great post! I really like this look at Dolce&Gabbana, I think I will try it first just with something small like a peacockfeather... :)

Brad said...

I love your first inspiration collage.

Aretha said...

I know!! I heard that country look is gonna be huge next season, but we all love the plaids and floral dresses way before that

Rachel said...

Oh i love it, it is such a lovely style and you did a great job at inspiring we with such gorgeous images :) Oh and I also have that song stuck in my head now hehe :)

la petite fashionista said...

i love the idea of period dressing. I think if done correctly it doesn't have to look costume-y. Great Inspiration!:) i've been searching for photos like this!

xoxo

emsie said...

this post is full of inspiration. fabulous post.