Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's on her wrist

Is is no lie, that I like my bit of 'bling', (yeah, I don't think I can get away with referring to jewellery as 'bling' either.) Of late, I have rediscovered my love of bracelets. I find with jewellery you go through phases of loving either bracelets, rings, earrings or necklaces. When I was younger, I used to love bracelets, that is, before I discovered the frivolity and excess of earrings. But, whereas earrings can be bought and relegated to the jewellery box withing weeks, there is a far more personal relationship with bracelets, you can keep them for years provided they are of relatively decent quality.

I have always been attracted to the idea of wearing millions of bracelets on the wrist and have even frequently experimented with the idea. There is something wonderfully quirky and eccentric about it be it the punky goth girl or the rich, grandiose middle - aged woman. A few months ago, Vogue UK ran an article about one journalist's love of her bangles. It was a very interesting piece, especially for someone who fully understands the said love affair, but even more so as here were women who wore their lives on their wrist. The bracelets these women wear illustrate the happiness and hardships that they have been through. As ludicrous as it sounds, I was totally blown away by such a wonderful, thought provoking idea, to think each bracelet, coincidentally almost like a charm on a charm bracelet, tells a tale. Henceforth, I think it gives reason to us all to hit the shops, be it Topshop or Cartier, and splash out on some wrist candy.

Madonna's bracelet action in Desperately Seeking Susan lives on in kitsch, colourful bracelets and of course, black jelly bangles, that epitomise Madonna's post - punk, 80's wild child look in the film.

After reading about celebrities and their bracelets in Vogue some months back, I was particularly captivated by Film Noir icon, Lauren Bacall's, bracelet love affair. It was with great wonder then, that I noticed, after much google images trawling, that it is rare to find a picture of Bacall with a naked wrist as subtle yet ever so grand gold bangles, forever frequent her slender arm.

My version of spree vs. save, bracelet style.

Bracelets are not purely a thing of yesteryear as at the moment celebrities are rarely seen without some form of decoration adorning their wrists.

After some trouble scanning her wrist, Kat decided to lay some of her bracelets out like this. Ha ha, no, I don't wear all these at once!

23 comments:

yiqin; said...

I love the idea of wearing millions of bracelets too!!! I haven't gone through the phase of earrings yet!

jayne said...

i love your elephant bracelet, i currently have an elephant obsession. and i love those articles in vogue where writers discuss their love of a certain clothing item, its fun hearing the history

Kira Fashion said...

I love her leather jacket style!!!

a kiss

Lana said...

I agree with the phases issue. I have phases that I wear earrings almost everyday and can't live without them, but then comes a whole period that I don't wear any earring or piece of jewellry.
And about bracelets, I love the style from Madonna. But bangles and bracelets are always to big for me and fall right of my wrist! But experiment with it, I should give a try.

Wendy-May said...

I love bracelets but never seem to have enough! At the moment im in the earrings phase! x

makemoremistakes said...

I was reading your profile, and it made me smile cus the other day I was wearing a pair of trousers that made a man in the elevator of my apartment ask where I got my style inspirations and if I had ever seen the 80's movie Billie Jean. Apparently I looked like I was from the 80's. Not that that's a bad thing.

xo
angela

p.s. cute blog!

the tea drinking english rose said...

i used to always wear tons of bracelets at ones, more bangles, maybe i should start agin.

i really liked madonna back in the day, she looked so cool. not really so much at all now, i'm anti madonna. but pro 80s madonna.

and yes i would love to, i'll do it right now! :)

Biianca said...

I love wearing bracelets!
I love your Madonna inspiration!!!
Oh, and by the way, your header is amazing!

Gillie said...

this makes me want to expand my bracelet collection. i've only got maybe 3 or 4.
happy 1st birthday by the way!

On Track said...

Oh wow, so many gorgeous bracelets! I would love an endless amount of bracelets, all the ones you posted ofcourse ;)

Elisabeth said...

I've always loved Madonna's 80's look and so wish I ahd the balls to recreate it!

The Clothes Horse said...

Bracelets have always been my first jewelry love! When I was in junior high I was the girl with crazy hair who wore bracelets up to her elbows...lately it's been too fussy though. Maybe I should wear some again...

Iheartshoes said...

I love that "clank"ing sound a pile of bangles makes on your wrist.

coco said...

I love Desperately Seeking Susan!

And if you look back at Lindsay Lohan in summer 06 and 07 she has fab bracelets!

Casey-Scott said...

I love Lauren Bacall and her fabulous wrist-frosting! I work in a jewelery store - it's like being a little kid set free in one ginormous candy store!

Honeymoon said...

U r a fashion addict ! If u want, I invite u to come to see some of the most beautiful heels, dresses and bags of the Paris fashion weeks and many more...!

penelope said...

I love the idea of wearing millions of bracelets at one go too! I'm in fact, wearing 12 on my right forearm now. haha! OF course, the size of the indiv. bracelet is key. I love your collection of bracelets! And i'm looking for a nice pearl bracelet now; just like the one you have(:

Aretha said...

You have a lovely bracelets colection!

Times of Glory said...

Wowwwwwwwww! I love love this post! Bracelet can really personalise our outfits! I want to get a large statement piece for this winter xxxx

mary said...

I used to do that during my more gothier days, of course, I was far from stylish with all my jelly bracelets.

I tend to do that with necklaces though, it just looks so lovely seeing so much stacked on. Assymetry rocks.

LML said...

cool pic of your bracelets! yes i am a fan of wearing a million bangles at once, yet a mix it up with just wearing one cuff sometimes! i def go thru phases with my favorite type of jewelry!

discothequechic said...

i'd kind of forgotten the joy of bracelets too, as i usually cram rings on instead.

hmm.. food for thought.

Belle said...

I love bracelets, I really want a Tiffany's Charm Bracelet. Something simple to wear all the time. I remember when jelly bracelets were big.
Belle