Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Hair Essentials - A Celebration

When I was about ten years of age, I had a serious thing for butterfly clips. Yes, at that age and especially around that time, (ten year olds are after all probably too cool now to wear such an accessory faux pas), butterfly clips were the 'in' thing, along with Pokemon and sticker books. As per usual, I had to go that one step further and looked quite frankly like I had raided Claire's Accessories in some mad 'all you can wear' hairclip frenzy and even earned the rather unfortunate nickname from the playground bully - 'Christmas tree'. That didn't stop me though, I still piled on the flowers, enormous garish things, one may even had come free with a magazine, and the glittering clips and believed my self to be every inch the 'individual', a word I learnt about the same time and had became quite obsessed with the idea.

Things haven't changed. I might have ditched the plastic butterfly clips and sunflower hair slides but I still like the idea of something adorning my hair. I'm not much of a hat person, I like the odd beret but that's about it, so instead I like to experiment with ribbons, bows, headbands, the odd hairclip, the occasional hairband and even more so of late. I just think 'Why not'?
It's kind of stating the obvious that headbands and ribbons/bows have been popular with indie/street/Facehunter esque people with quite a while now but I still am entirely fascinated with the concept and only wish to see even more people doing the same. To put something in your hair after the age of 12, was always going to be a daring idea but with more and more people proving that it can actually be done with out looking like an overgrown little princess, no time is better then the now to celebrate hair accessorising.

I admit I am going over covered ground here as I mentioned the rise of the headscarf in my previous post but I just can't help but love this wonderfully old - fashioned accessory. Agyness looked particularly old - school in her plastic head covering. Grandma - chic at its best, for sure.The hair ribbon has seen such a rise in popularity in recent months that surely it is only right to celebrate this quirky piece of kitsch accessorising. In my opinion, Amy Winehouse's best contribution to society has been her 60's kitchen sink soap opera style hair ribbon. As usual, Facehunter provides endless inspiration.

The pretty headband is a personal favourite for it obvious Grecian connotations. I love Kirsten Dunst's Flapper style band too. The pretty headband adds ethereal/feminine beauty as well a certain element drama to any outfit.

The hippie headband has become the hipsters' favourite piece over the past year or more but still despite perhaps the slight case of 'hippy headband overkill', the hippy headband still manages to look well just plain cool.

Last but certainly not least, is a selection of the more 'out there' hair pieces. I think almost everyone must harbour that secret desire to take a large piece of pastel tulle and create a giant bow ala Louis Vuitton.

21 comments:

emsie said...

another wonderful post
beautiful pictures which tickle me
i love hair bows, clips and hair bands
love love love

Allure said...

I was obsessed with hair clips when I was young too! It was Olsen's twins fault, though.I loved a sitcom they had back then, therefore I wanted to wear every single thing they wore.

Sunniva said...

such a great post, dear!
I just can't get enough of hairbands..I'm crazy about them! you have chosen so many great pictures that are so inspiring.

xxx

and ps. you're not the only one had a serious thing for butterfly clips at the age of 10 haha!

The Clothes Horse said...

I really love frippery in my hair! I think fascinators and tiara-esque pieces are my favorite whimsical touches as of late. Lovely.

Biianca said...

all your collages are awesome
I too was majorly into butterfly clips!! I had a million in every color!!
hahha, thanks for bringing back such a funny memory!

Times of Glory said...

That is the best post I've seen for hair essentials! Dear, I always love them! I think they will make your outfit so individual and more personal xxxxxxxx

jayne said...

oo i've never thought very much of hair accesories, but you did quite a comprehensive post on them, that makes me want to bust out some ribbons of my own! :) i'm more of a hat person actually, but with your lovely inspiration, I particualrly love the aggie photo too, i might have to become an xmas tree myself hehe

Miss Victory said...

I love headbands with side ribbons. Great to see headgear so popular.

Mimi said...

I love headbands in the hippie look for summer.

coco said...

This post has given me so many ideas. I never feel like I do enough with my hair.
Sadly head bands always slip off my hair.

Ana said...

Lovely post. I wear all sorts of things in my hair:flower clips,bows,headbands,hippie headbands,feathers...

LML said...

lately i cant stop myself from buying headbands and barettes! my hair is so unpredictable that i always need to be equipped lol!

Dapper Kid said...

Yum, love hair accessories, they give women a chance to be wonderfully creative and look amazing :)

Cris Lazoru said...

I always love your posts. So well informed.

C.

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

great topic
sadly, I've never found a headpiece I can rock (in public)

miss vintage love said...

I love headscarves!

Juliet said...

I have to admit that in this area, I am too shy. I don't know what it is, I have a lot of ideas, i just dont have the guts to actually do it.

juliet xxx

Belle said...

I loved sticker books, I miss them, haha, I remember trading stickers in the school yard. Whoa flashback.
I love wearing headbands, and different hair clips. I think it comes from watching too much Gossip Girl.
Belle

On Track said...

Oh hello love, ofcourse I would love to trade links, I am such a frequent visitor to your blog, I can't believe i havent even mentioned it yet!

This post is so lovely, so many inspiring ladies and styles (as always)

x

Fashion Tidbits said...

head adornments are a definite must for spicing up an outfit, i agree!!!!

Aretha said...

You made a greaaat selection of pics, love them all
PS I just read your profile, I love 80's fashion too hehehe..