Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

An unlikely love


Firstly, I'm glad to say that I'm back and I think, a thank you is in order, for your lovely comments. The first post after an absence is always a tricky one, the expectation has increased and the blogger is a little out of sorts. I can only hope then that soon enough, things will be back to the way they were, with thoughts of prospective posts occupying each waking hour. Here goes anyway!

A few months ago, Chanel's s/s 08 collection hit the headlines and not for all the right reasons. Generally, lavish praise is bestowed upon Lagerfeld's collections (just look at the succeeding Pre - Fall collection) but this time we turned away in almost red faced embarrassment. This wasn't classic Chanel but a tacky display of pale denim and candy stripe garments that looked more thrashy small town girl then Rue Cambon goddess. As someone who would consider themselves a Lagerfeld fan, I was let down despite the redeemining factor of the rest of the collection. As well as that, I was not altogether convinced by this whole 'Americana' / 'stars 'n' stripes' trend that, in my mind was really just a lame nautical trend re - hash.

It was not long though, when someone began gobbling up what they had previously said (that would be me) and was suddenly lusting, as I have mentioned before, for a cropped denim jacket. Of course I blamed this on my '80's fashion - disaster love affair' but perhaps in the subconscious I was really just doing a Chanel on it. But this really isn't about Chanel, this is about one girl's new found appreciation for denim for suddenly I find my self purchasing a whole host of denim items - shorts, new jeans, an Alexa Chung inspired denim shirt, you name it!

As usual Alexa Chung, is on a one woman mission to make theoretically - terrible pieces look cool
I am, just like almost every other person, a wearer of jeans. Predictably skinnies for me but despite the obviousness of them, I just find they suit me physically the best compared to other styles and as well that suit my personality (I like the typical rocky/arty connotations and of course the whole 80's vibe!). I guess the whole Chanel thing comes in with a newly discovered open minded -ness towards pale denim. Now believe me pale denim was the sort of thing that made me shudder. Suddenly, enter Chanel and of course those super - cool Christopher Kane and Alexander Wang collections, and shock horror pale denim doesn't seem so bad, although I must admit the jeans are not for me but that didn't stop me considering a pair in Zara!


Distressed denim gets a new lease of life at Alexander Wang and Christopher Kane

It's certainly odd but I never thought trends had such a secret ability to seep into your brain and make you think otherwise. I got the pale denim jacket and more than I hoped for! Yes, currently hanging up on velveteen, silver plated hanger is a rather lovely, maybe not for everyone Alexander McQueen pale denim jacket. Of course, I picked it up on holidays for a fraction of the original price at an outlet centre but you couldn't knock the smile of my face. The Kat had got the cream!

Ignore the squinting and cheesy, holiday - snap grin!

23 comments:

jayne said...

I know, isn't it rather funny when you think you loathe something and then soon it slowly seeps into your brain and then you just basically can't see yourself living without it? Usually, that just happens with music for me- like Amy Winehouse, Bright Eyes, or U2 haha. But sometimes fashion trends captivate me as while a long time after they're out- animal prints, widlegs (though like you skinnies are my denim preference, sadly they're hard to find, I know many people claim skinnies aren't practical for the average woman, but who said drowning in a sea of denim was either!?), leather/pleather jackets etc. it's funny how you hated the Chanel and now like 3 other lines are spinning off of it hehe. aww the genius of Karl, and it doesn't hurt that alexa knows how to rock it. as do you too apparently, your outfit is adorable, the jacket fits the outfit perfectly

i'm glad you loved the time travelers wife. it's so addicting once you understand it. what i loved about it was how the characters had real personas, they had favorite books/music etc, they were fleshed out. though it was a heartbreaking novel

coco said...

I have to admit I'm also loving denim too at the moment, especialy real pale shades!

The Clothes Horse said...

Denima is definitly going under a re-invention and I like how it's looking more glam and girly this time around.
Some looks need to grow on me as well. At first I hated the Balenciaga collection with the florals and space-age shapes, but now I admire it. Still would never wear it even if I could afford it, but I visually appreciate it.
Welcome back to blogging btw.

Molly :] said...

Thanks so much for the lovely long comment. Im so glad lots of bloggers got involved and provided their views on the subject. :)

Im definately liking the denim-ania trend. I do love my jeans, but i am gradually beginning to like Alexa-style dresses...

:) xxx

Aretha said...

Kat, you're back!!!
I hope you can give us more posts like this, love the Debbie look

belle.chantelle said...

I slowly fell in love with acid wash denim. Even though my closet lacks it right now [can never find the right piece to buy =/ ]

* Fashion Dreamer * said...

Oh I'm going through a pale denim phase too....literally cannot put my pale denim jacket down! I love that pic of Sasha P on the right, she's so awesome!

donna AND navaz said...

You've gotta hand it to Debbie Harry, who else could rock a mismatched denim 'suit'? Love your jacket, not so keen on the Christopher Kane...

LML said...

YAY! im so glad youre back! we have all missed you :)

Elisabeth said...

Welcome back!

A wonderful post to mark your return to blogging!

Diana Coronado said...

Denim !!, heyyy i'm glad ur back !!
Don't go away hahaha
Greetings !!

Times of Glory said...

I came across your gorgeous blog! I really love acid wash denim... it has something about it, unusual and casually chic!

iñaki said...

Very very nice post!
I loved that Alexander Wang collection!

xx

Francis Girard said...

Im yet to convert to pale denim although I have just felt a strong pain in my heart related to a pale denim sass and bide jacket i sold to help pay for my flight to London 2 years ago - WWHHHYYY?????
xf

On Track said...

Oh wow that is so funny, denim has definitely been growing on me aswell! And this post just reignites that love. i think you have to wear it in the right way like a lot of the pics in your post :D

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

denim!!!!i only love them if they are pants!!but to be other outfits for em is no..

emsie said...

I've dug out my old denim jacket! Alexa always looks gorgeous.

Kira Fashion said...

i am happy you are back!

a kiss for you dear!!

Ana said...

I think its funny when everyone hates a trend on the runway and suddenly it becomes popular. I still dont like the look for myself but I think it looks cute on others.

Romeika said...

You look so summery, love the pale denim jacket and your beautiful red hair. Welcome back, Kat!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I love the denim inspired collectiont hat chanel did a couple of seasons back it showed that even in jeans the brand is as classy as ever and still inventive!!

Fictional Desi said...

oh im a die hard denim lover and this post was great to read (and all the pictures.
great blog!linking you in tuesday's post for sure! yes, trends i see (and at first gawk at and push away) grow on me and then i can't not have them

ed said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載,成人網站,做愛,自拍

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品
情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品.情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣
視訊聊天室

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室


UT聊天室,視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人