Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Remember Me?


When I think of the sixties I think of Twiggy, mini skirts, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys, Jackie O, Edie Sedgewick and Mary Quant.(Of course I ignore all that hippy stuff but that's just a personal choice!) And the 80s? Neon make - up, well neon everything, Dynasty style faux opulence, huge earrings, shoulder pads, Madonna and all that jazz. As someone who loves fashion from the past, I cannot help but wonder what will this decade conjure up thoughts and images of? Skinny Jeans? The 'It' bag? Vintage finds? Most probably but more importantly who will be the quintessential style icons of the naughties? It's strange but when I was thinking about this post it occurred to me that a large proportion of celebrity style can almost be separated into two categories - edgy, arty, indie girl or glossy, golden, glam girl. Will these present day style icons stand the test of time or are they merely fair - weather stylish 'it' girls soon ready to be forgotten?

Have the new wave of celebrity style icons have what it takes to be remembered forty years on, like Twiggy (above)?
The LA Glossies
Style defined by the latest shoes and bags, golden hair, enormous shades, designer labels but with the added dimension of vintage buys and laid back hippy details and 70's prints.




The Indie Brigade
Harder to define but you know an indie girl when you see one. Sloppy layers, messy hair and makeup, distinct vintage look, layered jewellery, high - waisted skirts, braces, plaid.





Who in your opinion of these or any other celebrities has the style credibility to be remembered? And who should just be a passing fad?(I'm hoping Lauren Conrad...)

24 comments:

Tinsley said...

i love this post! in my opinion the decade has been so-so so far.
im kind of sick of lc types (whose style i think is realllly forgetable)
i know that ill remember people like chloe sevigny and the olsens just because they're so different and groundbreaking

belle.chantelle said...

WOW i love the pictures in your post
i really like the indie girl look, it's the most original of the two.
can't decide who i like best though..

Lana said...

I'm def going for Alexa, she represents the Indie style the best from those girls. And her style is just flawless!

emsie said...

I really like the indie brigade - especially chloe, lou and alexa. I love rachel bilson though : )

* Fashion Dreamer * said...

Great post! It's an interesting concept, cause we always seem to be reusing and tweaking past fashion. I don't think anyone who slavishly follows fashion will be remembered as a style icon, sorry Victoria Beckham! People like MK Olsen and Lou Doillon will be remembered for thinking outside the box.

The Clothes Horse said...

Cory K--passing fad--let's hope it passes quickly. What about Kirsten Dunst? I like both sets of groups you selected, both are inspiring in different ways.

Ragamala said...

I love everyone's style. But then again, I've always been partial to Alexa Chung. She has great style, and when she first started out she used to wear all vintage and thrift finds that made style seem possible at any price range.

Kira Fashion said...

its great to look back and see how amazing those women were...

a kiss!!!

STYLE AND THE CITY - PARIS said...

hi from Paris Kate

I am right now covering the Paris fashion week that began last week and still for few days,
I try to forget nobody interested in fashion and style like you because I know that it could help you to find some inspiration for your coming styles.
Dior, Hermès, Agnès B... I hope you'll like my photo coverage.

have a great evening and keep on being stylish

Kamel
WWW.STYLEANDTHECITY.COM

the tea drinking english rose said...

i love the indie girl look.
alexa is who i'd always associate that look with.
i love the olsens look, more so mary kate, she's got her own trend that will be remembered.

coco said...

I love the LA girls. Kate Bosworth and Ashley Olsen both dress so well! Great post!

Sunniva said...

what a great post! I love both the LA style and the indie style..always have a hard time choosing between those two, but then again, why have to choose? So when it comes to who will be remembered, I think Nicole Richie and Ashley Olsen stand strong on the LA side, and Alexa Chung and Chloe Sevigny on the indie side.

xx

Times of Glory said...

Wowwwwwwww! I love this style post! Totally rocks! Each people looks quite unique and it is hard to decide my favourite, actually! However, I love Kate Bosworth and Lou Doillon a lot xx

riz said...

EXCUSE ME!!! I am totally frieking out over how simple yet brilliant ashley's look is here!!!

Sinead said...

I think Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton and of course the Olsens will be memorable, but I don't know many others that will be.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I don't know why but twiggy always reminds me of the 70s even though I know it wasn't her era. Jakie O was the epitome of 60s style! I love this post, definitely love the indie girls!

Aretha said...

I think that Alexa and Iekeliene have a very own style, very unique and original. Love them both, and Aggy too

Catherine Ashley Talks fashion said...

Ahh... i love indie fashion..
its such a breath of fresh air in the fashion world..

xoxo

Romeika said...

My fav are the LA girls, especially Ashley and Nicole Richie. There's always something inspiring about the way they dress.

Miss at la Playa said...

Twiggy is one of the most influent models out there.

Katie said...

I love the idie girls. But I don't think they could be remembered for generations on, because many people don't even know who they are. Like Audrey Hepburn and Twiggy everyone knew who they were. So I think that the Olsen's will be icons in the future. They are fashion forward and everyone knows who they are.

Bobble Bee said...

Alexa and Lou! bravo for their AMAZING style :-)

this is true I swear said...

indie girls are so stylish... love it!
http://somenotesonnapkins.blogspot.com

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品