Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blue Blooded Drama


Although I possess little desire to actually see Scarlett Johansson's and Natalie Portman's latest offering, The Other Boleyn Girl, I can't help but be inspired by the rich, sumptuous fabrics and the wonderfully elaborate dresses. Much of the promotional material feature the image of Portman wearing a voluminous emerald green gown. I often find that emerald green is just one colour that is impossible to rid from one's memory. Indeed, just look what happened to Keira Knightley's Atonement dress, perhaps the defining moment of her career so far. I doubt Portman's gown will spark such attention as it is no where near sensational. Needless to say there is something in the thick, regal - coloured fabrics that has me pining for theatrical clothing.


I love the idea of wearing a hearpiece like these ones!

Stills from the Other Boleyn Girl. It's not that the costumes are exceptional it's more the type of lifestyle I envision when I see such dresses. I do love the heavy layers and the dark, luxurious colours though.

The dramatic shades and heavy, embossed textures makes me think of haute couture, all the extravagant excess of high fashion. The theatre and drama features heavily in the grandiose world of haute couture and this season's collection are no different. With The Other Boleyn Girl in mind, I was amazed to see the strong influence from that period on many of the haute couture runways. Lavish details around the collar and sleeves, frills, tiers and bows create a wonderfully majestic grandeur at the haute couture s/s '08 shows. The flamboyant colours are showstopping especially at Dior and the mixtures in luxurius fabrics and avant garde shapes make me wish I was one of those ladies who spend their days gliding about lonely, fairytale mansions in splendid haute couture.

Christian Lacroix s/s 08 haute couture has a strong Henry VIII influence. The tiers, frills, heavy fabrics and richly detailed necklines and loose sleeves create a sumptuous, regal atmosphere.

Meanwhile at Givency, the Henry VIII undertones are far softer. Mostly dusty, soft shades and flowing, goddess skirts combined with wonderfully dramatic concertina - fussy, frilled collars and sleeves.Haute Couture at Dior is always theatrical, The vibrant shades and striking structures are deliciously rich and boisterous.

These Versace gowns are just sinfully seductive. The striking back details and sinuous fabrics are fit for any princess.

Some richly detailed summer dresses. I love the vivid colours and the intricate detailing.

18 comments:

The Clothes Horse said...

To wear haute couture would be just too lovely. The French Connection dresses are also scrumptous.

Aisha said...

beautiful and very inspiring post

Aretha said...

I wanna see that movie too Kat! Thanks so much for your comments, I totally love your blog too!!
Those French Connection dresses looks so much pretty than a lot of other designers pieces :)

styleandthecity.com - Street style & romance in Paris said...

Hi

I just quitted the press industry to create 3 months ago a blog that shows Paris through street style and fashion week photo romances. It's a new way for me to humanize fashion.
I hope you'll like as much as people already like it.

As i need feed back from all over countries and culture to improve my work, I'll be glad to have your opinion and why not share links to share our work and because i am sure that you share my vision : fashion is for sheep, whereas style gives personality !
For street style photo romances translated in english, clic the "in english" section

ps : if you need some of my photos, I'll be pleased to help you.
and if you like my work, i'll be glad to exchange links

Best regards

Kamel LAHMADI
street style romancer in Paris

Elisabeth said...

Gorgeous post, as ever, with some beautiful photos.

I really want to see the film even though I've heard bad reviews, the costume looks amazing!

la petite fashionista said...

i think it would be so fun to play dress up in pieces from a different time period! those dresses are beautiful, i dont think i'd like wearing a corset though..

xoxo

coco said...

I'm planning to see this later in the week
I have a good feeling about it, even Scarlett is starting to grow on me

Molly :] said...

I actually CANNOT wait to see the film. I've always had a strange obsession with the Tudors... :) x

jayne said...

i've seen a lot of posts on boleyn (i even did one myself) however i love how you inclued couture in yours! lacroix is gorgeous! and i love FCUK, that green dress is awesome!

The Stiletto Effect said...

I want to see this movie, but mostly because of the amazing dresses.

atelier said...

The reflexion is very good! the post is really inspiring and well redacted! I can't imagine how cool must be wearing haute couture

LML said...

i have yet to see that movie, but the costumes look AWESOME!
i love all the couture shows, and im actually really liking the versace show...

Ana said...

I would love to play dress up in those costumes.

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

love the post..and how u put the dress..

Aisha said...

I can't wait to see that movie either. Not only because of the very talented cast, but for th gorgeous dresses!

can't wait until it comes out here.

The New Look said...

Just think that they got to wear clothing like that all the time back then.

Adaora A. said...

Mary Kate and Ashley look great in almost anything.

Those French Connection dresses have me salavating. Must. Have. All. Of. Them.

The Checkered dress is pretty tempting if I do say so myself.

Great blog. I can never resist a fashion blog.

ed said...

6K聊天室,080中部人聊天室,聊天室交友,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,情色聊天室,AV女優,AV,A片,情人薇珍妮,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,情色文學,色情小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,情色電影,一葉情貼圖片區,色情遊戲

言情小說,情色論壇,色情網站,微風成人,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人網站,免費影片,色情影片,自拍,hilive,做愛,微風成人,微風論壇,AIO

情趣用品,情色,成人,A片,自拍

情趣用品,色情,成人影片,色情影片,免費A片

情趣用品,成人網站,A片下載,日本AV,做愛

情趣用品,美女交友,A片,辣妹視訊,情色視訊

情趣用品,色情聊天室,聊天室,AV,成人電影