Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

At the moment...

I often find that when we slide into a new season there are just items that seem to have starring roles in all of my outfits or pieces that I just seem to work into alot of my looks. At the moment these pieces are as follows -

1. Pearl earrings - I recently bought a pair of faux pearl studs, that I just can't get enough of. They are quite large for a stud and somehow, despite my rather worrying addiction to elaborate earrings, have become my ear accessories of choice this spring. I like pearls anyway, even if these ones are fake as they add that little bit of Grace Kelly elegance to an outfit. And besides simplicity is always chic, something I often tend to forget!


2.Statement jacket - Vogue's march addition featured an article profiling the new 'it' catwalk trend - the trophy jacket. Indeed, Mary Kate captures this new trend perfectly in her striking statement Givency jacket that puts a whole new meaning to biker chick or rather, should I say, biker chic.

I recently bought the Topshop military blazer, below, and just love pairing it with contrasting things. I especially like the combination of the sharp, masculine tailoring with something floaty and feminine or with pastels. I like it too worn with a diamante brooch on the lapel. Despite the fact that I swore off pale denim years ago, for some reason, with little to do with the fact that pale denim was on many the s/s catwalk, I am constantly daydreaming about wearing a pale denim cropped jacket. It is really more to do with my love of contrast then anything else as like the military jacket I just think it would be rather sublime with a girly frock and also probably because of my rather frightenting love of the 80s as a fashion decade!



3. Lipstick - Late last summer was the first time I properly became acquainted with the joys of lipstick. I haven't looked back since and fully took 40's film noir lips on board during the autumn and winter months. Despite a short break from lippy around January/February, I have been stepping out and about with painted lips once more. Truth be told, I'm not vampishly adventurous when it comes to lipstick shades, it's a toss up between the rather predictable 'Red Hot' and the deliciously kitsch 'Baby Pink'. Now the latter isn't as saccharine as one might expect from the title but it is a pale pink without being 60's and a brightish pink without being 80's Barbie, indeed I would probably call it a 50's pink. Red lips, and you don't need me to tell you, just never go out of style.

Agyness graced Vogue's June '07 cover sporting bold yet sweet pink lips

4. Check Mate - I am quite liking the check pattern as seen at Gucci at the moment especially tiled over dresses and shirts. Kate Moss and other stylish people like the a fore pictured Olsen twins have long been spotted out and about in checked shirts. I like the sloppiness of them and the sort of 90's grunge meets cowboy connotations. I recently purchased this dress (below) in a vintage shop merely because I just loved the coral check pattern. And look, red lips get an outing too!


30 comments:

jayne said...

oo i love how classic you're! but like you said, everyone is drawn to what i like to call, "punking up" your wardrobe, i'm dying to put a bomber jacket with a floral skirt, if only i had both of those haha. btw, your topshop jacket is amazing. i wish i had topshop!

Ana said...

Cute! Love the red lips,they are my favourite accesory for making and outfit amazing.

said...

i love your post! pearl earings are deinfite! i love mine and like to wear them to make me feel chic and pretty :)

The Clothes Horse said...

That last girl is so chic. I deffo need a statement jacket and some checks!

M said...

mmm red lipstick and pearl earrings... very old hollywood glam. i love big ear accessories too! like huge diamonds :)

Alya said...

I think we could probably be style twins this spring/summer. I absolutely adore pearls, military/leather jackets, red hot lips and checkered shirts. There are a few other items I also like for this season, like florals.

BUT. And I repeat BUT. NO LIGHT DENIM FOR ME. NO NO NO. It reminds me of awful unfashionable periods of my youth.

Elisabeth said...

I love red lipstick and pearls. Perhaps not always together, but never say never!

Aretha said...

I already love the red lips trend. I paint them like that all the time

Molly :] said...

Ooh- your outfit is fantastic! And i love the outfit you bought too- a great find! :) x

atelier said...

I love Grace Kelly looks, always so elegant and sophisticated! Despite I bought that Vogue UK, I hate that cover, I don't like Agy at all... and so many colours, it's just not working for me (but the make-up is cool though). I am looking for a pearl earrings too

molly said...

i suspect the olsens can pull ANYTHING off!

hannah said...

i want all of these! great post.

coco said...

I love the studded jacket
I recently got a pair of boots becuase they reminded me of MK's jacket
Sad but true!

emsie said...

absolutely love your vintage dress.

Aisha said...

great great great picks, this list is very useful indeed :)

I see a new layout up! it's lovely!

LML said...

love all these feminine staples! im def a fan of red lips and hot pink lips, and also the punky pale pink lips! i def need a statement jacket and some checks to add to my wardrobe - i love that girls look - combining all your tips into one!

SKYLA said...

I'm the same with most of your looks, i keep telling myself to buy red lipstick-real red. but chickening out. one day, i'm gonna do it, and i'm gonna wear it. =D

Juliet said...

the biker chic is something I'm in love with too.

juliet xxx

Naomi said...

I really love your blog! And your post is making me have second second thoughts about red lipstick- maybe I should start wearing it..

Catherine Ashley Talks fashion said...

hi kat....

would you like me to link you?

xoxo

ChiliLady said...

pearls are classy, but red lipstick? only on the red carpet, please!

Belle said...

I love your jacket, it's really cute. I also seem to be wearing my pearl earings a lot lately. I love wearing a my pearl necklace with a longer silver one.

JuliAM said...

honestly, i love that studded givenchy jacket...but it looks a little ridiculous on mk. it totally drowns her

Kira Fashion said...

hello!!

red lipstick and pears are the best classic for me too!
i really enjoy!

you are in my links of the day,
a kiss and a hug,
hope you enjoy,
Kira

e.jay said...

I love pearls, too! Great blog!

dulcegal said...

i just love love love your space!! i like all the old pictures, edie sedgwick looks so pretty.:)

love aesthetics said...

how great are those studs on mary kate?! I love it, dont get tired of it, no matter how many times I see it

discothequechic said...

love your outfit here.
so well put together without the matchy-matchyness, and very you, judgin from your posts!

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

calssic..love the pearls!!!always

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品