Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

Park(a) Life

It's January and it's cold and coats just keep popping into my mind. I think I can say that we all have probably enough of lux winter coats at this stage which is why I rather randomly thought of posting about the parka/anorak. Yes, certainly rather random but I can not help but feel a little fond of the parka, despite it being rather removed from my style. I did however purchase a new coat for school recently. An rich purple anorak more then a parka, bear in mind though that the terms parka and anorak generally mean the same thing, although a parka is often considered to be fur trimmed. My anorak is however a bit more feminine then the Britpop anorak as it's satin with a great hem (quite similar to the Paul Smith ones below). 60s' mod in wearing a classic fish tail parka


I guess I am quite partial to the parka because it was a symbol of the mod subculture in the 60s and the mod subculture being something I am rather fascinated with. The parka was seen as the ideal garment when on the mods' vehicle of choice - the scooter, due to it's practicality, as well as it's availability and cheapness. Indeed the parka is as much an iconic mod symbol as the air force/target symbol is. It is fair to say too that the parka/anorak wasn't always that scruffy thing that it appears to be nowadays, the mods afer all were sharp dressers.
Liam Gallagher sports the iconic parka

Rocking the parka and in typical 60s fashion, accompanied with a scooter

Enter the 90s and the parka is out and about again. This time a little scruffier and generally not accompanying any Lambrettas. Britpop groups like The Verve, Oasis and Blur, the latter two being especially infatuated with the 60s mod sounds of The Kinks and The Who and of course The Beatles, sported their parkas and anoraks with a sense of national pride. Liam Gallagher did of course go that step further with the not - exactly - mod John Lennon glasses. Nevertheless the parka/anorak was an icon once again.


Enough with the history lesson, when all I am trying to say is that as a person who enjoys elaborate dressing up to a rather worrying degree, I cannot help but be slightly partial to the sloppy and perhaps even ugly anorak. Perhaps I have just lost my mind but I'm sure there's an inner parka wearer in us all! But if you are still unsure just look at some of the parkas/anoraks that appeared on the runway, rather cool, yes?!

The parka appears on the runway at Paul Smith Women and Topshop Unique
Note- I apologise for my long absence and will be returning all those lovely comments as quickly as possible. And yes, I know this is a very random post but I live in a rainy country where an anorak is quite handy as well as being a fashion icon!

19 comments:

The Clothes Horse said...

Parkas are looking lovely--I like the glammed with heels or worn with leggings. I don't have one though!

I want big hair said...

nice post:D
im hoping to get a parka soon for spring- too cold right now!
xx

jayne said...

hmm interesting never thought of them as "stylish", but your history lesson was rather awesome, i'm currently reconsidering :)

Kool Thing said...

Ooh, I love a parka and they last for years!! XX

Wendy said...

They do look really cool on the runway, and I must agree about the sloppy chicness.

penelope said...

yer! i totally love the (faux) fur trimmed ones, and those w/o!
but of COURSE!!
with singapore being hot and humid at a high of 32 (cel) ALL YEAR ROUND.
i'll pass out due to heat stroke):
LOVE IT TO BITS anyway((: hahaha

Cool Urbanite. said...

By seeing those pictures from the mod's I fell in love with how they lived. So cool and stylish, look at the boy sitting on his scooter looking cool with his sunnies and his parka!

coco said...

I love Parka's, there so warm as well as cool looking
I would say they are more cool than stylish

Aretha said...

Love parkas, I have a lot of them and I never get tired of wear them

Amy said...

ive been looking for a parka all winter but couldnt find one that looks good on me. I love the style though..very urban jungle-ish
-Amy

Cee-Cee said...

<3 Parkas especially the way you have presented them!!
btw come join me at my fashion forum stylespace.proboards106.com

FashionQueen101 said...

parkas are so great casual but chic. oasis definatley had a big part in the parka. I always think of his when a parka is mentioned.

alluretone said...

i actually like the look of them, perfect for a rainy spring day.

molly said...

ooh thanks for the history lesson!
loved the 60s pictures

Elisabeth said...

Parka jackets as a fashion piece... who would have thought it?

They do look fab on the runway... however I'd be worried I'd look like a ASBO reject...

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Oh I want all the coats your featured, lovely!

Molly ;) said...

Im guessing your English?
Well, i am too and i know what you mean about the weather. I do love my coats, but it seems so sad to hide lovely outfits underneath!
Great blog. x
Would you like to exchange links?

Heather said...

I've been wearing a kind of ugly parka lately... but I really prefer being warm, I'll be stylish underneath and/or when it's warm... I

ed said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品