Pages

Friday, November 9, 2007

This winter I'm gonna be a femme fatale

One of my favourite things about fashion is getting into character, adapting a look from an era and channelling it through your clothes, hair and make-up (but obviously keeping it a little modern in some way to avoid 'just walked off a film set syndrome'). For that reason I am in love with the whole 1940s trend this winter. Red lips, elaborate hair dos, floor length dresses, Dior - esque full skirts; heaven in my eyes. Although fashion in the 1940s largely reflected the turmoil of that decade, the lasting image of 40s fashion is that of the Hollywood sirens and the seductive glamour of Film Noir.
Those femme fatales of the silver screen, are some of the most loved throughout Hollywood history. Lauren Bacall, Veronica Lake, Ingrid Bergman, Katherine Hepburn to name a few, were the red lipped vixens who inspired this years autumn/winter collections. Gucci, Dior, Roberto Cavalli, Louis Vuitton and Valentino all had obvious 1940's elements and several collections had floor length satin gowns reminiscent of those worn in 40's cinema.


Uber - glamorous a/w 2007 pieces inspired by 1940's screen sirens (From top - Just Cavalli, Louis Vuitton, Roberto Cavalli, Dior, Gucci and Valentino)

To achieve the sultry glamour of 40's femme fatales -




Some fashionable looks of the 40s - Rita Hayworth in a dazzling floor length dress, shirt and belted skirt combination as worn by Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall wears a trench and scarf for fashionable day wear and Lana Turner is the epitome of Hollywood excess and grown up glamour in the final two pictures.






Veronica lake, Rita Hayworth and Ava Gardner are still much loved Hollywood icons today
Of course in many ways 40's style is defined by it's iconic hair and make up rather then it's clothes, for indeed it is the signature hair and makeup of this era which is often how it is identified, for it can regularly get muddled between the 30's and 50's fashions.


Veronica Lake's peekaboo hairdo is obviously the most celebrated, as the a/w catwalks will tell us, as so many shows looked to her for inspiration. Hair was central to the 1940's look, elaborate 'dos finished off every look. Side partings and glossy waves smouldered on the silver screen. Of course make up was a major element too - matte red lipstick, well groomed brows, lashings of eyeliner and false lashes for extra seduction.

(I fully own up to going a bit heavy on the pictures for this post, but really there is no point talking about the femme fatales and their sinuous gowns when there are just so may jaw - dropping -ly fabulous pictures.)

Iconic - Veronica Lake

29 comments:

Dustcakeboy said...

The 40s will forever hold truly beautiful and seductive connotations for me. What a decade...

jayne said...

beautiful sexy post! nice job as always, you're so well researched, let us know how you do the look

LML said...

lovely! i loved all the pictures, it was def not too much! i love the 40's look and never really thought about it much until this year when i saw it on the runways. Like jayne said - SExy post hehe
:)

Romeika said...

This post's pictures are to die for! Lana Turner, Veronica Lake, Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall...they're all wonderful and so glamorous! Femme Fatale look is indeed back, i think it's wonderful.

Diana @ So Fash'on said...

so classy!

WendyB said...

Veronica Lake was so stunning. Ava Gardner is one of my favorites. What am I saying, they're all beautiful. That first silvery gown you picked is VERY glam.

Avenue George said...

Simply stunning ;)

Avenue George said...

Great images by the way! x

muze1990 said...

Hehe, my name is Lana too. And my mother said she took it from Lana Turner :P.

But I love the 40's look and think Gucci did a great job on reliving that period! Thumbs up.

discothequechic said...

Such a great christmas party season look, though I'm afraid it requires a bit too much effort for me!

I'm so bad at having patience to spend a little time on my hair, hence my usual scruffy appearance!

But I love the Hepburn waves, and esp loved Gucci's AW07 collection with those 40s dresses and the Femme Fatale make up.

riz said...

OK I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FEMME FATALES! Seriously it's one of my favorite looks. I wish I could decide this so decisively. Yo uhave the details down to a T, and I really love the hair.

Aretha said...

Hi! I just found your blog thanks to The Stiletto Effect and I have to say that I love it! You are a retro lover as I am, so I will link you :)

Elisabeth said...

Gorgeous post! The 1940's was a beautiful era.

x Lis

The Clothes Horse said...

I always want to be a femme fatale and was thinking about doing a post on Lauren Bacall. She was so young when she first starred in a movie, but there was nothing juvenille about her drop-dead good looks and wonderfully raspy voice.

atelier said...

I envy their beauty!they were so different than sexy-girls-now!!great pics

Cordie said...

the 40's were a great time. sometimes i wishi was born in a different decade...the 60's or 50's. everything had such class. my friend had a 40-50-60's themed birthday party at lotus and decorated the whole place, it was fabulous.
love the blog!!

Cris Lazoru said...

Oh what a gorgeous, gorgeous post. Fab job

C.

Katie said...

I love the 40's. It is so sexy and so glam but very classy.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hecuba J. said...

yes! f/w 07-08 fatalesque look rocked! it's simply difficult to pull it off, unless ... :S ouuuh i don't know unless what!
cool post :)

Bojana said...

Oooh!!!

I made a blog post recently about Femme Fatales on runway...

LOve the pictures you posted!! Beautiful

Also, enjoying your blog :)

coco said...

I'm loving all of the 40's inspired looks
they really are incrediably feminine and girly
and also can be sexy
great post

Kira Fashion said...

great choice!

a kiss

penelope said...

fabb post!!
the 40s is so so glamorous! it's gna be so tough to bring this back):


awww!! and i;m loving the elbow length silk gloves!!!

haha oh and yes!! we rock!! haha! great answers(:

Heather said...

Great idea! I always play characters when I get dressed as well--and I never noticed all the 40s influences in the FW collections. Great post!

jadorevogue said...

A great post! The pictures are beautiful. I love the 1940's beauty, the red lipstick and Veronica Lake's waves.

Ana said...

im not going to ramble on-i simply love the femme fatale look

Camille said...

*GASP* This is amazing! I love this era, great job!!

ed said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載,成人網站,做愛,自拍

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品
情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品.情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣
視訊聊天室

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室


UT聊天室,視訊聊天室,辣妹視訊,視訊辣妹,情色視訊,視訊,080視訊聊天室,視訊交友90739,美女視訊,視訊美女,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊交友,情人視訊網,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,
聊天室,聊天,色情聊天室,色情,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,柔情聊天網,小高聊天室,上班族聊天室,080中部人聊天室,中部人聊天室,成人聊天室,成人