Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2007

In Praise of the Cardigan

Once upon a time, the cardigan was confined to Grandads wardrobe, nowadays it's a firm fixture in every self - respecting fashionista's closet. I love the whole cardigan chic. They are so useful, yet look great with just about anything. Thick knits for winter days, cropped cardis for summer nights. Who would have thought it, that the cardigan would become such a fashion favourite?

Angelina and Sienna work Cardigan Chic

Cardigans were seen all over the a/w '07 runway. From Stella McCartney to Prada, cropped over sized, wrap around, or ankle lenght, knitted cardigans were omnipresent. In my opinion, there are best in muted colours - shades of grey, the must for the upcoming season, pewter, mushroom, taupe, fawn; although the occasional splash of colour is fun and quirky and instantly transforms a dull, generic outfit into something head - turning. For me, the cardigan is simple, elegant and always seems to have a sort of creative edge to it, as though you just stepped out of the studio to grab a cup of coffee, whilst you ponder on the themes for your upcoming poetry collection. Maybe that's just me.....
Soft Grey cardigan at Prada

Oversized at Stella McCartney

Grandpa Cardigan - Trovata

Last year there was Factory Girl, this year there is The Best Time of Our Lives. Sienna just happens to star in both and both just seem to embody our latest fashion loves. The Best Time of Our Lives, a Dylan Thomas biopic, which also stars fellow fashion lovely Keira Knightley, is a real treat for fashion addicts, especially lovers of cardi - chic. Although the movie has not finished filming yet, pictures have been released of Sienna and Keira, frolicking about, in their fabulous, forties, country girl attire. Cardigans, wellington boots, trenchs and florals, it's enough to have me weak at the knees!


Keira and Sienna - Cardigan Capers

Be it autumn, winter, spring or summer the cardigan is a must. It's wearibility is almost ridiculous as there is nothing they won't look good with or furthermore, there are so many different looks that can be achieved with the simple addition of a cardigan - artsy creativity, girly elegance, chic and sophisticated, country gal or stylish secretary, the list goes on.



22 comments:

penelope said...

omg i totally agree wif u!!! i love d long knits ones!! owell, almost any kinds=p so long as d colors are fab!

coco said...

i love knits
and angelinas look so comfy

From Lily With Love said...

I casn't wait to see The Edge of Love ( The Best Time Of Our Lives) I'm a huge fan of Keira's.

Kate said...

I love knit cardigans! They are the perfect article of clothing.

Amy said...

great post! i am in love with that grey oversized stella mcartney cardigan
Amy

penelope said...

thanks for the comment!!
yupp zara's d best!!

Jennifer said...

I can't live without cardigans they are my staple, I have one similar to angelina jolie but it only cost me 20 bucks hahah.

Diana Coronado said...

I totally agree.
Love knites!!

Kira Fashion said...

I love cardigans!!!
I just bought one from Zara lately...i didnt pay yet...credicard! hahaha

Anyway, i love that amazing, confortable and chic style!

a kiss

amazing post!

Alison said...

The oversize knit cardigan is sooo fantabulous, I must go get myself one

la petite fashionista said...

ah i love really big cardigans a la mk&a. i always pick them up at the thrift store i volunteer at bc they seem to be extra long & roomy :)
xoxo

discothequechic said...

I'm loving your blog! I'll link you.

My grey cardigan is the most faithful piece in my wardrobe. I swear I've worn it most days for the past two years, and I never grow tired of itn

I especially love the cardigan that sienna is wearng in the top pic, with the cableknit effect, and the colour is lovely too. Hopefully there will be one similar in the shops soon!

S xx

Aisha said...

cardigans are too cute (=

My mother has some and I borrow them all the time =) hehehe I think it's time for me to buy my own ones =)

x

Gloria said...

prada and stella's are my faves

discothequechic said...

I love it when the high street shops come out with their catwalk copies. Its fun when you notice something in H&M or whatever and its just a blatent copy of Chloe.

Ha, I swear I'm such a skank with my love of rip offs and fakes, although I don't actually own any.

Yeah, and purple dresses are so flattering, aren't they? I have a silky one from topshop that I got reduced because it had a rip in it. (yesss)

I think everyone has something in their wardrobe that is an essential. I like to think of my grey cardigan as my boyfriend, It has to approve of a new item of clothing!

S xx

Ana said...

for me cardis evoke winter days by the fire...perfect coziness. angie looks so chic.
oh and i love veiled hairpieces. so old glamour.

LML said...

i am a cardigan junkie - i must own @ least 15! i love them because you can wear them all year round depending the material and cut!
and yes sienna and keira's wardrobe is to die for - cant wait until it comes out:)

Tru said...

I love cardigans there could not be something better

.m. said...

i agree the cardigan is a good staple for fall, especially one like the stella mccartney!

dianabobar said...

cardigans are always great to have!

Shopaholic D said...

i love cardigans! i get cold very easy, so i like to keep a cardigan on me so i can layer up if the AC is on full blast.

:) D

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!